Gatlinburg/ Cheeroke area - any good areas?

JvilleHunter

Jun 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Equinox 800
Hello everyone....

Just got an excal 1000 for xmas and am dying to try it out. I was hoping that someone in the area that I mentioned would know of anywhere I could try out my new toy? Alot of old history there and would love to try it out on a farm house or other fields that may contain some history. Any help would greatly be appreciated. also, if you have a place you want to try out, let me know, I tag along. I'll be up there beginning Febuary 9th thru the 16. Always good to meet a fellow TN member that shares the same hobby!

Happy Hunting
JvilleHunter

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D Depends on what yer looking for... LOTS of buried "treasure" MAY be in the GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS... pay attention to "local" legends/folklore "stories"; stay away from state/Fed land... ;) :D
ALSO, above Cherokee, NC in the MOUNTAINS, near "Table Top Rock" BUT! BEWARE!! it is "SACRED GROUND" to the Cherokee Nation; I would just focus on getting "secret sauce" of NC style PORK BAR-B-Que, myself... but, THAT is just me... LOL :D

OP
OP
J

JvilleHunter

Jun 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Equinox 800
Old coins?????....civil war relics??????????.....Indian artifacts......

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
The Excal is a water machine but may do ok land hunting with it. I would try a local park to get the fill of it. Will have to dig every thing as it has no meter may be able to turn the discrimination up and just go for coins.

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an interesting letter from a civilwar soldier who wintered in the Gatlinburg area. They talked of having some of the local indians join the Confederate ranks. The writer told of seeing rows of log huts the soldiers built right along side all the teepees of the indians. I just don't know which area they were in.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
duggap said:
I had an interesting letter from a civilwar soldier who wintered in the Gatlinburg area. They talked of having some of the local indians join the Confederate ranks. The writer told of seeing rows of log huts the soldiers built right along side all the teepees of the indians. I just don't know which area they were in.

Would really like to see a copy of that letter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread