Gatlinburg, TN AREA

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Smokey Mountain Knife Works

You won't have time for anything else, even the M's should enjoy that place.

Take plenty of pics :icon_thumright:

Boomer-1

Jun 27, 2009
Gadsden, Al
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SMKW is an awesome place. :icon_thumright:

Most of the old properties are being bought up and developed, I would try towards Townsend, or Pittman Center.

Also, If you visit the Great Smokey Mts national park don't even think of detecting. Also if you drive to Cherokee through the park don't get pulled over by the rangers with your detector in the car with you, unless you are a fast talker...no joke.

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
There are some campgrounds down along the river, but you would have to check with the locals to see what rules may apply there. Like Boomer said most places are a definate no, I don't know about the campgrounds.
Cade's Cove is also park which is off limits, lots of history, but no metal detectors allowed. I was there with friends who used to live in the area and most of what we found was the same.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gatlinburg is a beautiful place to visit. Sevierville and Pigeon Forge are awesome places to visit as well. Check out the Dixie Stampede as it is a very entertaining dinner and show. There is a hotel called The Inn at Christmas Place that is decorated in Christmas theme year round that is something just to walk around a look. You will need to go downstairs and see the two story tall cuckoo clock chime. Their website is http://www.innatchristmasplace.com and across from that is a Christmas Mall featuring several stores with Christmas items year round. My wife and I stop here several times a year. As far as metal detecting you will be much better off going to Maryville or Knoxville unless you want to finds some parks in Sevierville or Pigeon Forge. What ever you do please DO NOT take your machine in the state park. There is so much to see there I really don't know if you will even have time to see everything. If this is your first visit there is no way to see everything. You will probably spend most of your time in Sevierville and Pigeon Forge. I hope you post on here how your visit went. And welcome to Tennessee.

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if you are still following this thread, but I will throw this out. It may give you an idea of a place to start. I have seen a picture of the confederates (a small force) winter quartering on the side of the mountain. They were using some of the local indians as soldiers and they were camped in teepees while the rest had wood huts. They were talking about having their wives come and stay for a visit. Try old newspapers, historic society, very old people in the area, etc to start seeing if you could get a location clue. Could make for a fun hunt. Regards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread