GB 2 and ground balance

Mike RB.

May 27, 2013
Dodge City, Ks
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm torn between buying one of two detectors...either a GB2 or a GMT.

I think both are good detectors for small gold and I've heard the GB2 may have the edge in this area.

Ground balance is another issue I'm thinking about. You guys that use a GB2, are you constantly having to ground balance? Is it a pain in the butt?

I kinda like the GMT because of the auto ground balance, but can only find it with a 10 inch coil. Buying a smaller coil would run me $100. That puts it out of my price range.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once you have balanced the GB2 you are done - UNLESS the ground changes, which in some areas it does every 15-feet. That is why we use the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq on our claims in Arizona.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The GB2 is not user friendly and shouldn't be anybody's first detector but without a doubt, its the best for hunting small gold on bedrock or quartz specimens. The GMT is a close second in these situations with the option to run in tracking. The Tesoro Lobo Super Trac although not quite as sensitive as the other 2 is more user friendly and a solid VLF performer especially in the desert. Sometimes I wonder what Fisher, Whites and Tesoro would have done if Dave Johnson hadn't come along.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the GB2 is really easy to ground balance. The balance control is easy to reach with my thumb, so it's a one-handed operation. The stacked control has a coarse adjustment with click stops. Once you have "split the difference" with the coarse control, a relatively small,adjustment of the fine control will nail perfect balance.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ground balance is something that has to be done if you're going to hunt gold in the highly mineralized soil that so often accompanies gold.

Even with auto-ground-balance, you have to be careful that you're not outpacing the setup of your machine so you don't walk over gold in a transition zone.

Manual ground balance isn't all that difficult once you learn how to do it, and some people prefer to hunt in manual ground balance. Having said that, auto-balance can simplify things greatly, but once again, you may walk over some gold from time to time in severe transition zones if you're outpacing your processor. It takes time to know your machine, and to pick the proper speed to hunt, but after a while, you'll catch on.

And, if you get a manual ground balance machine, once you learn how to balance properly, it's quite simple after that.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is one of the reasons I got a GB pro. It is extremely easy to ground balance. And, with a LCD readout of the existing ground conditions, you can monitor if the ground changes. Just push the Ground Grab button, pump a few times, and you are off and running again. You also have the option of manually changing any ground balance values very quickly. I am so far from an expert it's not even funny, but I thought I would throw my two pesos in here..

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Takes 2 seconds to pump my TLST a few times or maybe 30 seconds to re gb my GB2 as a habit--or is that a addiction really? Smallest coils on both will make detecting easier for gold as getting in/by/around rocks/boulders much easier. BUT that TLST sure rocks in trashy areas and good for anything just about anywhere. Buy used but not abused as the gold craze has hit but they soon tire as hardest form of detecting there is,coupled by most expensive and dangerous to add to that-John

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Takes 2 seconds to pump my TLST a few times or maybe 30 seconds to re gb my GB2 as a habit--or is that a addiction really? Smallest coils on both will make detecting easier for gold as getting in/by/around rocks/boulders much easier. BUT that TLST sure rocks in trashy areas and good for anything just about anywhere. Buy used but not abused as the gold craze has hit but they soon tire as hardest form of detecting there is,coupled by most expensive and dangerous to add to that-John

When John comments, you really would be wise to listen. He's been up the hill, over the mountain, and down in the river chasing the gold enough times to write a library of books on prospecting.

All the best,

Lanny

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for your kinds words Lanny as much appreciated and respect to ya in FREE Canada my friend-tons a au 2 u 2-John

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike RB, I have both the GB2 and GMT. BOTH are dynamite machines. Finding nuggets with a detector is not for the "casual" prospector. It takes lots of work and dedication. That means you MUST learn to ground balance your machine. Whether you choose the GMT or GB2 (auto GB or manual GB ) you will need to accept the fact that manual ground balancing must be "second nature". Case in point: on page 17 of the GMT user guide it says you must go to the manual ground balancing mode to get the TINY gold. Good luck! TTC

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mike RB.

May 27, 2013
Dodge City, Ks
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all your input. I went ahead a bought a GB2. I had my reservation at first, but a friend has one and he showed me that with practice it'll pay off with finding smaller gold (which Colorado has a lot of). It ought to be here by the middle of next week, that's when the work begins...getting use to ground balancing. My XLT is pretty simple to use, but rather useless for gold detecting. I may have to head to the desert one of these winters, as I've always wanted to do that.

I've been prospecting (highbanking) for many years, just thought I needed another weapon in my arsenal.

IDdesertman

Dec 8, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, Gold Bugs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The GB2 will work great for small Colorado gold, you made a good choice. Yes there is some learning curve to it, but that goes with any detector. If you've got a friend that already uses one who can take you out in the field and show you some things with it, then all the better. Happy hunting!

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The GB2 will work great for small Colorado gold, you made a good choice. Yes there is some learning curve to it, but that goes with any detector. If you've got a friend that already uses one who can take you out in the field and show you some things with it, then all the better. Happy hunting!
Well put..........Remember this is actually a "ultra high" frequency detector and task specific. I believe every serious prospector should eventually have this machine, you made the right choice.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep in touch and let us know how it goes.

All the best,

Lanny

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all your input. I went ahead a bought a GB2. I had my reservation at first, but a friend has one and he showed me that with practice it'll pay off with finding smaller gold (which Colorado has a lot of). It ought to be here by the middle of next week, that's when the work begins...getting use to ground balancing. My XLT is pretty simple to use, but rather useless for gold detecting. I may have to head to the desert one of these winters, as I've always wanted to do that.

I've been prospecting (highbanking) for many years, just thought I needed another weapon in my arsenal.
You will get VERY MANY small (very small) pieces of junk. Instead of cussing, be glad you are doing it RIGHT. The small gold will be there if you are doing it right. TTC

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread