gear advice

wouldtick

Feb 3, 2013
I just bought an at-pro a week ago. Now i Just ordered the pro pointer / lesche digger combo for $137. Grabbed the sheath from buzz and a lesche t handle shovel that is serrated as well. I can't wait for next weekend. Ground might be soft enough to extract my first pull tab. Any advice on a hip pouch for trash and treasure? I am trying to buy gear that will last even though there might be a higher cost initially.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just use a backpack and a double pouch fanny pack. Plus I have the retriever. Which I left in the field after breaking my ankle. Also take a long screwdriver to help dig in the dirt between rocks. Gloves, knee pads, rag to wipe hands.
Just go to any outdoor supply place to get the packs and hardware store for extra tools. I know the lesche is a good tool but I've seen one at Walmart (ughhhh) for 20. Seen a couple guys using it. It's a sod cutter.
The tools are based on what kind of hunting you're doing. Watch some vids to see what they use. Plus I use a polycarbon spade as well. That way I can shovel the loose dirt out and go over the detector to see if I got the object in there.
Also a small brush (not wire) to clean objects.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
W

wouldtick

Feb 3, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Some good suggestions. I have been to several stores looking for something that will work.

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
â—Ź Minelab Manticore â—Ź Minelab CTX-3030 â—Ź Minelab Equinox 800 â—Ź Minelab Goldmaster 1000 â—Ź Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WouldTick:

I'm taking pretty much the same path after having been out of MDing for several years. For a hip pouch, I'm trying the Garrett pouch. It's inexpensive ($12-16), and made very well. I think this is one of those types of items that I might have to try a few till I find what works best for me. I pasted a link below:

Garrett Camo treasure pouch free shipping | Big Boys Hobbies

Most of the forum sponsors and eBay has them for sale.

Image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wouldtick

Feb 3, 2013
Thank you. That looks like it will work quite well. I may give it a.shot.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could also use a shotgun ammo pouch. It's durable and has separate pouches. I like the fanny pack because you can get many different types. Also, with any of the belt type pouches you could always get different pouches to fill your needs.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the Garrett Camo pouch and I like it EXCEPT the belt is very thin and tends to bunch up and roll up around my stomach. Granted, I'm a big boy, but I've had other nylon belts and put pouches on them and they've not rolled up.

I also don't like the slip & slide style buckles. They tend to slip and slide on me...

I really like the MOLLIE style band on the front of the Garrett pouch that you strap your ProPointer to.

What I really want is a military MOLLIE style belt that you can add pouches and your pinpointer too.

OP
OP
W

wouldtick

Feb 3, 2013
There is a military surplus store near me. I never thought of stopping by there.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah the mollie. I should try to hit a surplus store and see if I can find some goodies to fully equip my hiking pack and belt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread