Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gemneters,My dad has collected gem stones now for many years.He really knows his stuff when it comes to them.But I had found a cabbed stone awhile back that even he is not sure of.So I thought I would post it on here just to see.A little history on it Is that this stone popped out of the same hole that my 1730' cob piece of eight came from.When I got the signal and started to dig this came out with it.It stood out in the sand here on the coast.I'm sure it is from that time period.No one would be likely to have lost it seperately.As this first can't even be gotten to with out a boat,and is miles from anyone.Anyway I'll tell you what he came up with might help.
Inert to Uv LW & Sw
3.13 ct.
9mm x 4mm rd.
porous
Sg=3.295
Hardness 7-8
Appears to be single refractive
Pleochroism = not detectable
He also told me with the surface being so porous that some of these test really cound't be done right.Needs a polishing.
Thanks for your help!
Timekiller!

Attachments

• 000_0183.jpg
    000_0183.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 561
  • 000_0184.jpg
    000_0184.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 564
  • 000_0185.jpg
    000_0185.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 562
  • 000_0186.jpg
    000_0186.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 555
C

Cappy Z.

I'd bet on a weathered glass bead. Might look porous..but I doubt it is a gemstone if so.

My two cents.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cappy Z. said:
I'd bet on a weathered glass bead. Might look porous..but I doubt it is a gemstone if so.

My two cents.
Glass bead I kinda dought there Cappy Z.It is hard enough to scatch quartz cystal,and almost acts like it wants to scratch Topaz.I know of no glass from that time that would do that,also don't even know if they make a type today that would be that hard.I'm still thinking stone of some kind. Thanks for your thoughts though.
Timekiller!

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

timekiller said:
Cappy Z. said:

My two cents.
Glass bead I kinda dought there Cappy Z.It is hard enough to scatch quartz cystal,and almost acts like it wants to scratch Topaz.I know of no glass from that time that would do that,also don't even know if they make a type today that would be that hard.I'm still thinking stone of some kind. Thanks for your thoughts though.
Timekiller!

Mail it to me...if it's worth a million I'll let you know......

Upvote 0
OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cappy Z. said:
timekiller said:
Cappy Z. said:

My two cents.
Timekiller!

Mail it to me...if it's worth a million I'll let you know......
I hear ya there Cappy,but I read your post.The one were you got taken or apear to be taken. >:( Now you wouldn't be tring to get revenge now would ya! :laughing7: I hope things work out for you.Some people. :dontknow:
Timekiller!

Upvote 0

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have to agree with Cappy Z. I think glass also. It appears pitted and frosted just as glass appears when worn. It looks a lot like beach glass does after being pounded in the surf for a long time. If it truly had a hardness of 7-8, that would be harder than quartz (sand) and would not be as worn as that is coming out of the ground. In fact, if it were that hard, there would be very little wear on it. I believe it is some type of lead crystal. It was often used to imitate gemstones. (Think Swarovski crystals here.) Lead crystal has a specific gravity of between 3.1 and 4.0. Exactly in keeping with the S.G. your father measured. I believe you are mistaken about it scratching quartz. What you probably saw as a scratch was actually a line of pulverized dust from the "stone" in question. That is a common mistake. Anyhow, that is my opinion. This is really interesting and we all can't wait to find out what it is. Keep us posted!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rasputin said:
I have to agree with Cappy Z. I think glass also. It appears pitted and frosted just as glass appears when worn. It looks a lot like beach glass does after being pounded in the surf for a long time. If it truly had a hardness of 7-8, that would be harder than quartz (sand) and would not be as worn as that is coming out of the ground. In fact, if it were that hard, there would be very little wear on it. I believe it is some type of lead crystal. It was often used to imitate gemstones. (Think Swarovski crystals here.) Lead crystal has a specific gravity of between 3.1 and 4.0. Exactly in keeping with the S.G. your father measured. I believe you are mistaken about it scratching quartz. What you probably saw as a scratch was actually a line of pulverized dust from the "stone" in question. That is a common mistake. Anyhow, that is my opinion. This is really interesting and we all can't wait to find out what it is. Keep us posted!
Two say nay I guess the nay has it.Just a few more words though for me.The pits are very close to this shot of sun stone.If you use a microscope.Question is why would it be pitted the sunstone.Also some shots of some corundum hardness 9 with porous surface.And last but not least is the shots of the crystal I scratched after scrubing it in the sink with soap and water.Probably hard to see cause my camera isn't the best for sure.But if you look on the flat surface it left groves in it.And that is with all round edges not like there is a sharp edge to use.I don't know but sounds like some tough glass. ???.

Attachments

• 000_0189.jpg
    000_0189.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 478
  • 000_0193.jpg
    000_0193.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 472
  • 000_0192.jpg
    000_0192.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 475
  • 000_0191.jpg
    000_0191.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 480
  • 000_0190.jpg
    000_0190.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 472
  • 000_0194.jpg
    000_0194.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 469
Upvote 0
OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just thinking if it was a stone with a surface something like the sunstone and was never completely polished down wouldn't that look alot like what it does.Maybe someone didn't finish it or got tired of it or plain out didn't know or care about it being smooth. :dontknow:.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread