OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No wonder it’s so hard to find stuff any more.

The reason its hard for most folks to find points like that is because they don't put the effort into gaining permission on a good site and then putting in hundreds of hours digging that hard dirt.

SouthFork and his digging partner spent years digging those two hills to find those. Anyone on this site could do the same thing if they decided to put forth as much work as they have.

I followed their digs for years as they found them a few at a time.

Your right on about taking the effort to put the time in digging and sifting.

However on the topic of obtaining permission, people’s attitudes have changed a lot in the last 20-50 years.
It’s much more difficult to get permission to utilize any resources on private land these days.

Everything IS bigger in Texas.

Here ranches are smaller and people are more protective of their resources. The smaller the tract of land, the more protective they are.

I’d compare digging arrowheads to buck hunting. In Texas, you probably wouldn’t have a difficult time finding a ranch to buck hunt on for a trespass fee. Here ranchers would not let a stranger hunt on their land for any amount of money. Wildlife resources are renewable. When archaeological resources are gone, they are gone forever.

The amount of public lands also comes into play.

Not saying it’s impossible, but the chances are slim around here in my opinion (unless you know someone).

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other thing that comes into play here...fear of government infringement of private property rights.

Asking to dig up an ancient village site on private property is like asking if you can hoot for spotted owls on a timbered parcel, or look for an endangered plant to photograph on some rangeland. Justified or not..people here are a little wary.

That’s why it’s so neat to see pictures of all these great artifacts...some areas have greater opportunity and are much richer in archaeological resources.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other thing that comes into play here...fear of government infringement of private property rights.

Asking to dig up an ancient village site on private property is like asking if you can hoot for spotted owls on a timbered parcel, or look for an endangered plant to photograph on some rangeland. Justified or not..people here are a little wary.

That’s why it’s so neat to see pictures of all these great artifacts...some areas have greater opportunity and are much richer in archaeological resources.

Valid points so appreciate the effort he put in instead of posting sideways comments like it's no wonder its getting harder to find stuff of that's just wrong.

If you put in the expense and effort getting to know land owners you can find a place to dig. Maybe you need to go to a different state but that would take effort and expense. It just comes down to whether you want to do it bad enough.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of my collection came off my own property and surrounding land with permission just blessed to live here . The days of collecting in California are fast coming to an end unless you own a lot of land and its almost impossible to gain permission to hunt . IMAUDIGGER your in one of the best areas in N. California start knocking on doors any place where there's water coming out of the earth is a good bet . Happy hunting I would be down digging today if it wasn't so dam hot and the grass is too high to surface hunt .

Last edited:

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another site frame from Tilly's Hill N. California foothills . Home made snake wood box .

Attachments

• PC214212.JPG
    PC214212.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • PC214204.JPG
    PC214204.JPG
    504 KB · Views: 62

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like something that could be associated with medicine. Not something you see laying around everywhere.
Was it found somewhere close to a camp site?

Just a waterway that produces lots of artifacts. Possibly a medicine stone. Unmodified quartz crystals were part of a Shaman's tool kit.

I thought maybe Atlatl weight or Charmstone so I automatically ruled those 2 out.

Thanks for your input.

A lot of beautiful points posted thanks for the share!

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of my collection came off my own property and surrounding land with permission just blessed to live here . The days of collecting in California are fast coming to an end unless you own a lot of land and its almost impossible to gain permission to hunt . IMAUDIGGER your in one of the best areas in N. California start knocking on doors any place where there's water coming out of the earth is a good bet . Happy hunting I would be down digging today if it wasn't so dam hot and the grass is too high to surface hunt .

Yes indeed, sounds like you have good neighbors.

The comment “no wonder it’s hard to find arrowheads”, was intended as a joke/backhanded compliment. Not a statement. Very impressive frames of arrowheads.

Boggles my mind when I see large collections like that. I browsed through the thumbnail scraper thread and saw Josh’s buckets...thousands!!

64% of my area is public land, so digging is off limits there...but ya, never will have an opportunity if you don’t ask.
Lots of unappreciated camps everywhere.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes indeed, sounds like you have good neighbors.

The comment “no wonder it’s hard to find arrowheads”, was intended as a joke/backhanded compliment. Not a statement. Very impressive frames of arrowheads.

Boggles my mind when I see large collections like that. I browsed through the thumbnail scraper thread and saw Josh’s buckets...thousands!!

64% of my area is public land, so digging is off limits there...but ya, never will have an opportunity if you don’t ask.
Lots of unappreciated camps everywhere.[/QUOTE
So your not far from Eagle Lake big collections have been found there off the ground and Goose Lake and any of the shore lines of the dry lakes Alturas is another great area . I still surface hunt its not unlawful to pickup rocks this is still America ? ITS PUBLIC LAND a lot of my collection is surface finds that's how I found Tilly's Hill and I still surface hunt digging is hard work and not much fun .

Last edited:

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well South Fork just gave you some serious leads. I think it is critical though to realize what went into finding those frames of artifacts. You probably didn't mean any harm with the two comments of "that's just wrong" and " no wonder its getting harder to find artifacts" . that said it offers a glimpse into jealousy / entitlement mentality often displayed on this forum and others.

I have had dozens of comments ranging from I'm cheating, I shouldn't be allowed, there should be a limit, not fair, etc. Those comments are often presented as jest but in actuality are an insult to the massive effort required to assemble personal find collections. Me personally..... I'm thrilled when you or South Fork or anyone else finds good stuff.

If you want to find them, they are out there by the millions. Construction takes thousands per day. Im sure California is a challenge but get to know land owners. Make friends with other collectors. Walk many miles of public land. Offer cash for a day of poking around. If that doesn't work...go somewhere else. Frames like those did not come easy and yours won't either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well South Fork just gave you some serious leads. I think it is critical though to realize what went into finding those frames of artifacts. You probably didn't mean any harm with the two comments of "that's just wrong" and " no wonder its getting harder to find artifacts" . that said it offers a glimpse into jealousy / entitlement mentality often displayed on this forum and others.

I have had dozens of comments ranging from I'm cheating, I shouldn't be allowed, there should be a limit, not fair, etc. Those comments are often presented as jest but in actuality are an insult to the massive effort required to assemble personal find collections. Me personally..... I'm thrilled when you or South Fork or anyone else finds good stuff.

If you want to find them, they are out there by the millions. Construction takes thousands per day. Im sure California is a challenge but get to know land owners. Make friends with other collectors. Walk many miles of public land. Offer cash for a day of poking around. If that doesn't work...go somewhere else. Frames like those did not come easy and yours won't either.

Garscale, you and I are currently on completely different worlds at the moment. I’m really not sure where you are coming from. I will be upfront, I feel like a few of your comments in this thread towards me have bordered on condescending and insulting, which I feel is undeserved. Perhaps something is lost in written translation in your comments as well and I have misunderstood your intent as you have mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another site frame from Tilly's Hill N. California foothills . Home made snake wood box .

Another nice display. I particularly like this one for some reason.. B16BE158-85F0-4386-81E9-627114308D81.jpeg

Never heard of snake wood...what is that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's possible .

By the way, I noticed I didn’t mention it, but thank you for posting those “gems”.
Very incredible. I think I’d probably have to make a backlit shadowbox to be able to see that translucent appearance daily. I’m sure long ago someone else admired it in the sun at least once.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, I noticed I didn’t mention it, but thank you for posting those “gems”.
Very incredible. I think I’d probably have to make a backlit shadowbox to be able to see that translucent appearance daily. I’m sure long ago someone else admired it in the sun at least once.

I have done that before. I took led Christmas lights and pushed them through the foam under the points. One strand did an entire frame

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done that before. I took led Christmas lights and pushed them through the foam under the points. One strand did an entire frame

Would be impressive at night when the lights are turned out, I’m sure.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread