Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gen. Crook's U.S. Troops helped me fill another box with CW Relics

With snow and temps in the 20s in Tennessee today, it's a good time to organize relics and watch basketball and the NFL playoffs. Yesterday, I drove Dman to his doctor for a follow up to his shoulder surgery after Christmas and he's doing well. It will be several more weeks before he can relic hunt though. I had to buy a larger display box (Dman whines about that all the time-LOL) and add relics from last week for one U.S. site. This is the my 6th box from that CW site in Smith County,Tennessee known as "Battery Hill". The box in the pic represents finds from about 12 trips from Dec. 2009 through last week. I also have a jar and small boxes of artillery canister, lead slugs, and sabot pieces from shells fired at that site. Dman has many nice recoveries from that site before his surgery and Josh has a great start on a nice box.
This is an interesting site that had a complement of over 6,000 Union Infantry, Artillery, and Cavalry troops at the peak of 1863 occupation. There were rifle pits all over the very large hill and 4 separate U.S. Camps spread out near the junction of the Cumberland and Caney Forks Rivers. When water was high, Union gunboats could come up from Nashville to supply the camp. Gen. George Crook, famed Indian fighter called "Nan Tan Lu Pan" (Gray Wolf) by Geronimo and the Chiroicahua Apaches was a Brigadier General in command of the camp from early 1863 until he was ordered to Western Virginia in Feb. 1864. There was a strong Union presence from mid 1862 until the end of the war. Gen. John Hunt Morgan's men harassed the U.S. troops with surprise attacks and ambushed foraging parties in 1863 but no major engagements occurred there. The artillery relics we recover is from a target range and test firing of the cannons.
I do sympathize with Tnett friends snowed in who can't hunt during this time of year (Attn. Mainer). If you get bored or just like seeing relics, click on "VOL1266-X" and visit my profile page. I have posted 4 pages of relic pics and info. on the sites where the relics were recovered. Happy hunting from Dman (who can barely type), Josh, and myself, Quindy.

Attachments

• Battery Hill US Camp 2009-2011).jpg
    Battery Hill US Camp 2009-2011).jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,520
Upvote 0
Re: Gen. Crook's U.S. Troops helped me fill another box with CW Relics

Those are some nice relics, I would love the chance to hunt a civil war site but the only one that I am aware of west of the Mississippi is in Arizona. That site is 500 miles from where I live.

Mighty fine looking box of goodies, Quindy! Thanks for the post!

Thank You Gen. Crook and Men......Gotta love it Quindy.Great looking display of CW relic's :thumbsup: I have to put another order in for Riker's myself,in the mean time it's to the garage do Zap a little more iron.Still trying to round up all my pic's for my 2010 find's.Is Dman going to be able to hunt the DIV?

bula said:
Those are some nice relics, I would love the chance to hunt a civil war site but the only one that I am aware of west of the Mississippi is in Arizona. That site is 500 miles from where I live.
We are lucky to have these CW places Bula but this site (and many others locally) have been hunted by relic hunters for years and years. Dman and I have a friend who lives on the high bluff on the South side of the Cumberland River where CSA snipers pestered the Yankees. When they were building a new road through there in the 1980s, he counted 35 people detectring a small spot there that he could see from his home. Thanks for looking, Quindy.
creskol said:
Mighty fine looking box of goodies, Quindy! Thanks for the post!
Thanks Rob. Also, thanks for your i.d. of the 2 iron pieces of being small keg band fasteners under the horseshoe. The Yankees apparently had some alcoholic refreshments on the hill. I knew I had seen those before but you "nailed" them-no pun intended. Maybe we can hunt that site when you come through Tennessee on the way to your Texas ranch sometime. The land has changed hands in the last year but I can get you permission I'm sure. Thanks my friend.
civilman1 said:
Thank You Gen. Crook and Men......Gotta love it Quindy.Great looking display of CW relic's :thumbsup: I have to put another order in for Riker's myself,in the mean time it's to the garage do Zap a little more iron.Still trying to round up all my pic's for my 2010 find's.Is Dman going to be able to hunt the DIV?
Not this time Joe. He will have to settle for hunting Tennessee this Spring. Josh and I have promised to dig his targets for him when his physician says he can swing his detector with his other arm. He had better not be wanting to dig every square nail in Tennessee either-LOL. Three days of digging would be too much in March for him at that time in his rorator cuff rehab. I'm eager to see your last year finds in the "2010" Forum. Thanks Joe and stay warm Bud.

Nice Quindy. Although we got some snow I am still going to try to get out. This is a good time of year to get things organized. I even go though my scrap pile and occasionally find something in there that is not scrap. I am going to try to get out tomorrow as we are getting a break before more snow moves in.

Great post, and as always great relics. Sure is good to see some people are getting out. Keep em coming Quindy. Its a long winter. :icon_thumright:

Nice frame Quindy, wish I could get on some civil war sites.
I have one three ringer and think I'm cool. LOL

treasurehound said:
Nice Quindy. Although we got some snow I am still going to try to get out. This is a good time of year to get things organized. I even go though my scrap pile and occasionally find something in there that is not scrap. I am going to try to get out tomorrow as we are getting a break before more snow moves in.
Thanks Randy. Looks like we will get a good snowfall in Tennessee Monday and Tuesday. I'll probably visit Dman and participate in one of his "imaginary" hunts that he has gone on since his surgery. Funny, he always finds more than me-LOL. HH, Quindy.
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Excellent story and relics. Way to go Quindy. :)
Thanks Mike. If I ever get bored with fishers, I know where to buy a Minelab. Of course, I'd have to listen to Dman bragging about them-LOL. Quindy.
mainer said:
Great post, and as always great relics. Sure is good to see some people are getting out. Keep em coming Quindy. Its a long winter. :icon_thumright:
Jesse, my mission is to keep you entertained during the Winter with posts. Thanks for looking.
Hill Billy said:
Nice frame Quindy, wish I could get on some civil war sites.
I have one three ringer and think I'm cool. LOL
HB, you still have some good CW sites in KY but they have been hunted hard too. You will discover a new site when you least expect it one of these days Buddy. HH.

awesome CW relics :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

:thumbsup:

thats a nice display Quindy.i am wondering if Dman has a snow curse on this area till he gets better and can hunt.all i see on the news is more snow on the way. take care and good hunting this next year.

That's a good bunch of stuff. My arm and shoulder are itching to get back out there and start hunting again. 4 more weeks and I will be released to go hunting. I don't get it, the doctor has released me to go back to work but not metal detect. I think Vol has conspired with the Doc to keep me on the sidelines so he can hunt all the spots I have researched and found.

Dman said:
That's a good bunch of stuff. My arm and shoulder are itching to get back out there and start hunting again. 4 more weeks and I will be released to go hunting. I don't get it, the doctor has released me to go back to work but not metal detect. I think Vol has conspired with the Doc to keep me on the sidelines so he can hunt all the spots I have researched and found.

Dman,
I think you may be on to something. :icon_scratch: Didn't Q drive you to the doctor recently? He may have bribed him with CW relics. I wouldn't put it past that silver haired trickster. :laughing9:

Q,
That display looks FANTASTIC. Could you put a small picture of the Generals in there somewhere? Just an idea.
Great job.
-Dug-

Really awesome finds!! You are a great friend to Dman. I am currently getting ready on Tuesday for my 2nd Rotator Cuff surgery. I know what he's going through and the pain that he is dealing with.
Good luck in future hunts and Dman a nice speedy recovery!! :)

ModernMiner said:
Dman said:

Dman,
I think you may be on to something. :icon_scratch: Didn't Q drive you to the doctor recently? He may have bribed him with CW relics. I wouldn't put it past that silver haired trickster. :laughing9:

It wouldn't take long to hunt the productive CW sites HE has researched and found MM. Maybe one nanosecond. His doctor sold him out for 2 mashed .58s, 3 chewed up .69s, and a Sharps bullet hit by a plow. Q.

VOL1266-X said:
ModernMiner said:
Dman said:

Dman,

It wouldn't take long to hunt the productive CW sites HE has researched and found MM. Maybe one nanosecond. His doctor sold him out for 2 mashed .58s, 3 chewed up .69s, and a Sharps bullet hit by a plow. Q.

Wow, Dman must not be as worth as much as we thought. By the way, was that Dr. I.B. Hurt? :dontknow:

HaveFaith said:
Really awesome finds!! You are a great friend to Dman. I am currently getting ready on Tuesday for my 2nd Rotator Cuff surgery. I know what he's going through and the pain that he is dealing with.
Good luck in future hunts and Dman a nice speedy recovery!! :)
Good luck with your surgery.. The surgery isn't bad, it's the rehab.

VOL1266-X said:
ModernMiner said:
Dman said:

Dman,

That's cruel. I have people standing in line for me to take them hunting but I can't trust them. The only reason I take you is by the next day you can't remember where we went or what we did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back