Gen2 Cent Sorter Preview - Work in Progress

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright, peer pressure got to me. I wasn't really ready to reveal the work in progress, but another member (you know who you are) talked me into showing this thing as-is.

I haven't been able to spend a single minute on troubleshooting this sorter since I put it together after painting it. It was trucking along great before I took it apart to paint it. Now, I have some issues with jams/clogs and with cents falling right off the chute before even hitting the comparator. I guarantee that I'll get the bugs worked out once I have time to make fine tunes to it.

In the mean time, you can see that it's not as simple as just putting all of the pieces in a line. Once you get that far, the last mile makes or breaks the race. I've been through all of it before with FrankenSorter though and know that I can get to where I want to be.

Some of the features this thing has over FrankenSorter:
- . . . quick-removable covers to see and clear jams as they happen. I did this by . . . I had to . . .

- Nearly infinite speed control from creeping to whirly bird. I did this using . . .

- 2-channel counter. Self explanatory really. One channel counts accepted Zn, the other, accepted Cu. I can add a 3rd one to show count of coins exiting the hopper by simply mounting another counter. I might do that if I get so inclined.

- . . . I think it will look kinda cool.

- Bag holder for the Zincers. It is . . .

- The aesthetics . . .

The first video is . . . The second shows . . .
[. . .]
[. . .]

As a side note, I am committed to getting this sorter working how it is intended. However, I am onto a GEN3 that was inspired by something that popped into my head while doing this one. When I get that concept functional, everything else I've done will seem child's play. It's a ways out there though. Alas, I am finding it harder and harder to put time into CRH. I am having a blast messing around with this gear - I dig it as much as I do the coin hunt (except for when I'm finding seated liberty halves in bank-wrapped rolls, that beats wire nutting scrap wire harnesses to . . . power supplies any day). Why didn't I start this hobby 5yr ago? Why can't I do it today full time?

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Right.JPG
    Right.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Left.JPG
    Left.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy cubungas, THAT'S a sorter?!?! Can't put my finger on what it looks like but I know it ain't a coin sorter. WAY TO GO!:headbang:

Those acrylic covers are the cat's pajamas for clogs! I hope the royalty payments aren't going to take all my sorted copper because I'm going to go with the clear covers. Clearing jams with tweezers is a PITA!

Questions for you:
What speed (or voltage) are you running at in the first video?

RATS! Somehow I submitted the post before I was done.

Questions (cont.)
Have the comparitors had the resistor replaced to slow down the rake?

I'm sure you'll get the bugs worked out when time permits.

Again, way to go and thank you for taking the time and making the effort to post the videos and pic's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Questions for you:
What speed (or voltage) are you running at in the first video?

Have the comparitors had the resistor replaced to slow down the rake?

In the first video, the hopper is . . . In the second video. . . Then, when I throw the toggle, it switches . . .

I did replace the resistors . . . I know from experience with FrankenSorter that that mod is an improvement. But, as you see in the video, coins . . .

Last edited:

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!

Amazing ingenuity! You have inspired me to get crackin' on mine now. I'm assuming that you decided 32V was too fast? What do you think would be an optimal speed, whereas maximum throughput with minimal jams?

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW!

Amazing ingenuity! You have inspired me to get crackin' on mine now. I'm assuming that you decided 32V was too fast? What do you think would be an optimal speed, whereas maximum throughput with minimal jams?

My experience to date is that . . . is very good. That is the voltage that . . . My feeling is that . . . I haven't timed the coins per minute or RPM. I might do that at some point.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread