CCI00081.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 377
Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texan....I think that was the name of his Ranch... Said some episodes of some westerns were filmed there... http://www.panamvideo.com/TVDescriptions.html
RANGE RIDER ****************
30 MIN BW 1951-1952 WESTERN 10 EPISODES - Jock Mahoney, Dick Jones. We never do find out the Range Rider's name, but just like "The Lone Ranger" he's dedicated to making the West a safer place. The series was filmed on Gene Autry's Flying-A Ranch and Mahoney does his own stunts. Great exterior shots.
Very neat find my friend....Probably not many of those left around.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can wacth the Gene Autry show every Western Wednesday on either AMC, or TCM, one of those movie channels. He's always on about three in the afternoon and they have two to four episodes. 20 minutes each. The singin' cowboy, Gene Autry was.

Cool Badge. Circ 1950.

Ken

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Wow thanks all, that badge in "Not Dug" condition recently sold on Ebay for 214.00 Whoo hoo it may find its way there soon.(with a reserve of course)

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
The Mitchell Wagon was made by Mitchell, Lewis & Co. of Racine, Wisconsin. They operated in Racine from 1855 on, were earlier located in Chicago. This info from a Chicago history published in 1879. I don't know what became of them after 1879. Very nice finds.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The Mitchell Wagon Company was established in 1854: by 1918 John Deere was making Mitchell wagons. In the interim, Mitchell--a Racine Wisconsin company--proudly declared their wagon the "monarch of the road."

Attachments

• mitchell1.jpg
    mitchell1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 290

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow :o thats really cool I love the whole cowboy era and that badge really impress's me and makes me wish I could find one ;D congratulations on the excellent finds ;D

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Love the Gene Autry badge!

Very cool.

Congratulations!

Ridley

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Wow!! agien, how cool is that. Thanks ya'll I wonder what the little emblem was for. Appartently the badge is pretty rare, by the post you presented Gypsy, I had to tap it out with a hammer, it looked like a dead spider when dug. but came out O.K., guess I lucked out agien this is getting as exciting as digging big Silver.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey TC, congrats on finding that Gene Autry badge. It looks to be in good shape. I've found many badges with pieces missing or all bent up.
You gonna sell it?

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Wisconsin companies joined the race to produce automobiles before World War I. In Racine, successful wagon maker Mitchell-Lewis began building cars in addition to wagons. By 1911, the Mitchell-Lewis Motor Company had become the city's largest employer, employing 2,000 workers to build the company's fashionable touring cars. The company was later bought by another Wisconsin auto-maker, the Nash Motor Company, in 1925.

Attachments

• Mitch.jpg
    Mitch.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 263

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
http://www.accessgenealogy.com/scri...e=Data&report=SingleArticle&ArticleID=0034038

Lewis, William Mitchell, Captain
The following data is extracted from Racine, Belle City of the lakes, and Racine County, Wisconsin : a record of settlement, organization, progress and achievement.

Captain William Mitchell Lewis has established and promoted in Racine, one of the largest manufacturing enterprises of this character in the United States. The development of the trade in the last few years has been so great as to seem almost magical, but back of this are the well defined and carefully executed plans of Captain Lewis and his associate officers of the Mitchell-Lewis Motor Company. Racine claims him as a native son, for he was here born on the 25th of February, 1869, his parents being William T. and Mary (Mitchell) Lewis. At the usual age he became a public school pupil and afterward entered Yale University at New Haven, Connecticut, where he was graduated on the completion of a law course with the class of 1891. During his college days he was much interested in athletics and played at center on the famous Yale eleven of 1890.

With his return to Racine in 1891, Captain Lewis engaged with the Mitchell-Lewis Wagon Company, but all personal and business considerations were put aside at the time of the outbreak of the war with Spain, when he volunteered for service at the front and was commissioned captain of Company F, of the First Wisconsin Infantry. He saw active service under Major General Fitzhugh Lee in the Seventh Army Corps and was' stationed at Jacksonville, Florida.

When he again came to Racine, Captain Lewis entered its business circles as general manager of the Wisconsin Wheel Works, a concern which was engaged in the manufacture of bicycles, the industry being at that time at its height. With the invention of the automobile and its perfection for practical use the Wisconsin Wheel Works was converted into a plant for the construction of motor cars and the name was changed to the Mitchell Motor Car Company, with Captain Lewis as the active manager of the business. A magnificent plant was erected and in 1910 the Mitchell Motor Car Company and the Mitchell-Lewis Company were consolidated under the name of the Mitchell-Lewis Motor Company. The increasing popularity of the automobile and the excellent car which they put out at moderate prices led to the rapid growth of business, which developed almost by leaps and bounds, making theirs one of the important industrial enterprises of the city.

On the 27th of October, 1892 occurred the marriage of Captain Lewis and Miss Edith F. Rose, of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, and they have four children: Katharine Rose, William Tumor, Gordon Sinclair and Mary Virginia. Captain Lewis has been a recognized leader in republican circles in the state for a number of years and in 1910 was the candidate of the Republican Party for governor. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons and the Elks, having in the former gone up through both routes, being now a Knight Templar and Consistory Mason. The interest which he displayed in athletics during his college days has been continued in more recent years and he is a ready supporter of clean sport in all of its forms. He has been interested in the extension of playgrounds and in the promotion of outdoor facilities for the use of the younger generation and for this purpose has given to Racine the athletic field and playground known as Lewis Field. He is very prominent in the club circles not only of Racine but of the state. He has been president of the Racine Country Club, belongs to the Milwaukee Press Club and has been received into the Order of Knights of Bohemia, an inner circle of the Milwaukee Press Club, this being recognized as a distinctive honor His intellectual training, resulting in an alert mental development, makes him ready for any duty or for any emergency.

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Thanks S.E. Aint nothing I got aint fer sale!! Might have to look at it for a while though. ;D, funny story, I dug that michill token a while back (dont remmber where) and noticed the wrighting today while showing my silver Dollar find to a friend, The badge was found at a old church sight where I almost got run off today, but smoothed the guy out, next thing I knew he was slapping me on the back and saying hunt all you want. It was actually state property that the highway is about to widen,(formaly his) He knew they bought it-I knew they bought it, but he still mows it. Crazy world huh?

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Man gypsy that was great!! Can you just imagine the stuff out there folks have found and remain unidentified to this day due to lack of relationships with folks like ya'll.
I am proud to call you all my nieghbors.

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Thats funny plehbah, I was thinkin the same thing, that church was moved to that local 58 yrs ago. From where is the guestion, I may just have to sacrifice something, there 50 yr anniversary is next week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread