General Question About Detecters

Fafe

Oct 6, 2010
Huntington, WV area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be for those who have been around detecting for awhile. Since MDs are basically electronic equipment, are they generally like other electronic items like TVs, computers, etc. in that for the same price range are they better now than about 11-12 years ago. In other words, about 11 yrs. ago I bought a Fisher Excel for about $400-500 range (if memory serves). So, would that same $400-500 buy a much more superior detector now than before? Has the industry moved the same way computers have? I hope you know what I'm asking. I don't mean a particular brand. PS, I was never very happy with the Fisher Excel.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes and no. There are more FEATURES on today's single freq VLF machines, but the technology is exactly the same. The weight has come down some, but discrimination is the same.Many newer machines offer little numbers on a screen that is supposed to tell you junk from a good target, but they still can't tell you the difference between a gold ring and an aluminum pulltab.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My understanding is that the VLF technology met it's peak about 10 years ago. If you are happy swinging your old detector and know it's language, I would not buy a new one, however if you want a few more bells and whistles, then you will get more spending the $500 for one of today's detectors. The detector I am using made it's debut about 10 years ago, although they have added boost , a (FA) fast action process, and they upgraded the electronics to better handle EMI.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still happy with my two old ones, although I have been kinda looking to upgrade. Not sure exactly what I paid for them (4-500 each I think) but for the same money I doubt much improvement.:occasion14:
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread