General Washington Medals

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Today I finished work early and decided I would try and find a place to detect for the rest of the afternoon. I noticed a guy on a dozer at a farm that looked like it would hold some sites. I pulled in and asked him if he owned the farm? No but he knew who did. I went in search of the owner and after a doorknock, she said No. Went back down to the guy on the dozer and he was surprised when I said she said No. He said well I know of a place that you might be interested in, and I said , oh yeh ,where? He replied, by my deerstand. I said well where's that? He told me and I was off like a Prom Dress. I drove 5 miles and went in. He told me it was a log cabin with a stone fireplace. And it was. Hill Billy Hunting 008.jpg
I spent an hour or so around this place and wasn't finding much other than zinc mason lids and a flat button, and aluminum and the silver plated compact cover. Well it was hot and I wasn't feeling so good about this site due to all the trash. I decided it was time to leave and maybe come back another time. As I walked a half mile back to my truck, I noticed mud brick and pottery and glass everywhere. I turned on the ole XLT and started swinging. Boom, flat button, then all kinds of brass hinges. A little while later I dug what I thought was an IH penny. Another two piece button followed and some other things.
When I got home and started cleaning the buttons one was a decorative floral flat and the other had some design on it. The two piece is a cool one, not sure who it is on there. The IH turned out to be a General Washington Medals Token. Had a great, hunt hope you do too.

http://www.coins.nd.edu/WashToken/WashTokenText/1850-59b2.html

Attachments

• Hill Billy Hunting 001.jpg
    Hill Billy Hunting 001.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 783
  • Hill Billy Hunting 004.jpg
    Hill Billy Hunting 004.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 773
  • Hill Billy Hunting 005.jpg
    Hill Billy Hunting 005.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 780
  • Hill Billy Hunting 006.jpg
    Hill Billy Hunting 006.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 774
  • Hill Billy Hunting 007.jpg
    Hill Billy Hunting 007.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 771
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Love those days when you think you got skunked when " BAM " Out pops a luck turning find. Keep em coming H.B. :thumbsup:
Chris
Thanks Chris, it is a unique find. The force is with me right now. :laughing7:
Don in SJ said:
More good finds HB! No help on the figure on the button, lol, not even sure of guy or gal ??? The GW Token is a very nice find, have to reread the ND info, but if I read correctly it is around CW to Post CW time frame. Don't think I have seen one posted before so congrats on somehting new.....

Don
I think it's a woman on that two piece button, but who?
nova treasure said:
Great finds and glad to see you out swinging :hello2:. Hopefully very soon I can tryout my New machine and make some hunts with ya.

Bill
C'mon... let's go
ZINCLID said:
What's that Aunt Jamima Looking token? Cool...Aunt Jamima holding her Chinese hand fan-LOL! :laughing7: :headbang: That hinge assortment is cool--looks like the one with keyhole has a knocker below the keyhole. Cool and ornate to say the least. CONGRATS TO YA! :headbang:
:headbang: :laughing7: :thumbsup: :headbang:
Aunt Jemima, that's funny. I think what your referring to as a knocker was the front door handle.

Thanks for the reply's

U

umrgolf

Nice finds HB.. I thoroughly enjoy site pics like that one.. It makes the whole post 10x better.. :laughing7: I couldn't take a site pic where we were at this weekend due to some "critters" around here ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread