General Wyoming Question

tanner

Dec 5, 2007
maybe one of the locals that are on the board can help me out...

im done with city life. had enough of the people, traffic, noise, filth, crime and all of the other lovely traits that come with city life. ive looked into property in the following states.....WY, TX, ME, ND, SD and ID. just lookin for a trailer or small home with a acre or so of land. have the cash to put a large down payment down to keep monthly mortgage low. would still need a job however. i will literally do anything for a buck. outdoors, rain, snow, dirty, heavy lifting not a issue. have some lower level management experience. honestly if i brought in around 1k-2k take home a month id be fine.

so is there employment readily available for someone who has a track record of stability with employers and is physically able to do anything ya throw at him?

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check into the Rock Springs-Green River area. It's a good sized city as far as Wyoming goes but a lot of places to live on the outskirts. Also look into the Riverton and Lander area. Lots of oilfield work North of Rock Springs around Pinedale but, no place to live. However, a few small, small ranching communities around Pinedale that would probably be right up your alley. Plenty of good fishing and nobody bothers you. Too bad I can't give you some employment tips as i'm 10 years removed from good old Wyoming. Your best bet would be to travel up there.

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX series with 9" coil and 18" coil.
You can always move to Casper. It will be easier to find jobs in this city, or in Cheyenne. I have lived in Casper now for 3 years. I moved from Miami Florida, and I don't regret it. The climate in here is fantastic. The summers are not too hot, except maybe for a couple of weeks or so that the temps might reach the high 90s, so far this year i don't think we had even a week with temps in the high 90s, and at night the air is cool. Winters can be a bit tough, although in the Casper area it is not as bad as other areas to the north, or even to the south which have much worse winters, at least for the past three years.

The air is also fresh, and clean of the smog you find in large cities. There is almost no crime to speak of, you still find most people in Casper leave their cars/trucks running when they go into a convinient store in gas stations to buy coffee, or some other refreshment, etc. There are 4 main movie theaters, as well as an economy theater inside the mall. The theaters are not as big as in large cities, but they have been renovated, are medium size, and have a lot of history behind them since they have been used since around the 1900s. There is the Eastridge Mall for the wife, and children, and we got two big Walmarts, as well as Walgreens, Blockbusters, two dairy queens, Long John Silver/KFC, Applebees, Red Lobster, and most other known brand name stores, and restaurants. We even have a recreational enclosed pool which is open year-round which has slides. Of course there are two bowling halls, and in general most of what you find in any big city except it is all in a city of 50,000 people.

In Casper you have all the conviniences of a city, but at the same time you are but a few miles from Casper mountain, which is beautiful. Not too far from Casper there is Laramie mountains to the southeast of Casper, about 35 miles where you also find anoher small town known as Glenrock. Going northwest you have Grand Teton National Park, to the North of Grand Teton you have Yellowstone National Park, to the north of Wyoming, and directly north of Casper there is Big Horn National Park, to the Northeast of Wyoming you have the famous Devil's Tower which is magnificent, and you won't run out of ghost towns, and other historic sites to visit around here. Not to mention that there is lots of fishing, and hunting. Right by Casper we have the Platte river which has lots of fish, and runs along the city from east to west. There is the Alcova reservoir which is a large lake to the East of Casper after the small city of Alcova which is about 25 miles from Casper. In this lake you can use your boat, go swimming etc.

Anyway, this is an excellent state to live in. I have visited many ghost towns, which unfortunately we can't TH in, and even old rendezvous sites (which I found thanks to Gypsy heart), which alongside with state parks are some of the areas you can ask permission to do some TH.

I have found some old coins, and even some gold in one of the rivers around here, not really a lot, but there is gold to be found if you are interested in prospecting. The powder gold I found was in cracks in river stones which I had to extract from the crack with a syringe, and although it was not a significant find, it is proof there is still gold to be found around here.

I haven't been able to prospect, or even go TH for almost 7 months now because I got injured in my shoulder at work, and the nerve in the shoulder area is damaged which doesn't allow me to do much now. But as soon as I get better, which I hope won't take too long as it's been too long already, I will be going out there prospecting, and TH once again.

You will find some people around here who also do prospecting, and TH. I know an elder man who I bought some equipment from, and who has told me some good old tales about Casper, and the prospecting, and TH adventures he has had.

I also met another member of the forums who i think still lives in Casper, although I am not sure.

Anyway, as for jobs there are lots of jobs to be found here. You can even work for pizza hot, and they start paying you $15 an hour, or you can work in any branch of the oil field business if you want to make more money. If you are more of an office worker you can find some office jobs here too.

Although, one of the things about Casper is that if you plan to start off living in an appartment, there is a waiting list of about a year, but if you are planning on buying right away there are houses, and land you can buy.

Hope this info helps. If you have any questions let me know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread