Generally speaking is South Carolina metal detecting friendly

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donā€™t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SweatyPotato47

Jul 19, 2022
I have to ask because Iā€™m a northern person and I understand civil war areas r protected, or outlined, whatā€™s the permission status. Iā€™m sure those of you that live there can advise us all. Is it any different detecting myrtle beach vs charleston, coastal or inland thankyou again
I haven't been there in a few years, but I would recommend staying away from historical sites and state owned parks.
I've never had any trouble there, once an officer stopped me to give me some site ideas and told me some stories of what some locals had found before.

Goldbuggy

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2022
Iā€™m also interested in knowing how S.C. people react to metal detecting. My cousin lives in Grey Court, SC & has invited me to come down to metal detect anytime. Iā€™ll watch this thread for sure.
Goldbuggy

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I metal detected Myrtle Beach back in 2019, asked a bunch of locals and they said there was no problem. I didn't detect anywhere else so I can't say if it's different in other places there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected Hilton Head Island beaches, no problem at all, and found several gold rings too.,

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iā€™m also interested in knowing how S.C. people react to metal detecting. My cousin lives in Grey Court, SC & has invited me to come down to metal detect anytime. Iā€™ll watch this thread for sure.
Goldbuggy
I live 4 miles north of Grey Court. Lots of old home sites. Have fun! Ps, I have been turned lately because of what the owner has seen on tv!

Goldbuggy

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2022
I am in Grey Court now Tony, been to a few spots. Nothing to brag about so far. Now that I have my camper at my cousins place for 3-4 months a year, Iā€™ll start branching out. She lives off of Hwy 101ā€¦

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to ask because Iā€™m a northern person and I understand civil war areas r protected, or outlined, whatā€™s the permission status. Iā€™m sure those of you that live there can advise us all. Is it any different detecting myrtle beach vs charleston, coastal or inland thankyou again
One thing that has given me an edge over the years. I have detected A lot of the old farms and sites that have been refused to others have let me in. One secret down here especially with the older owners is being polite, really polite. Try to make small talk, an lots and lots of yes mams and no sirs! There is a beautiful war era mansion not far from me that has never let anyone even look around. I show up one morning wearing overalls, and straw hat. When the lady came to the door I took off the hat held it to my chest and said "Good Mornin Mam" We became friends and I hunted there several years. She told me that when she first saw me it reminded her of her Dad!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread