Gentlemen(and Ladies) Start Your Engines

B

BiggusDiggus

During a snowy research day came across some info on and old racetrack built by a "playboy" millionaire in the 1930's near my hometown. Did some google earthing and further research and located said area. Figured today since most of the snow has melted and were above 50 degrees today went and swung the coil a bit...after about an hour as I was walking along side a section of the tracks straightaway got a good signal of 81..cool!, dig er up..boom !!1918 merc...ok sweet, lemme double check...another 81, Dang! 1906 barber...Well I better swing a little slower round here....Bang!! 90-91..holy crow!! A 1918 Half...Bang!!,Another 1918 Half!!!Twins!!!....and a torched wheat penny....The Silver Gods have smiled upon me again!! Didn't want to rub em too much in the field so I took my treasures and headed home...Also got a clad quarter,penny,dime and chunk o lead..Some cool buckles Too(info?) 20131223_124042.jpg 20131223_124527.jpg 20131223_124601.jpg ..not to sure about the buckles but cool regardless...Not too bad for a short muddy hunt...HH!

Upvote 17

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ladies you picked up there ;). HH and thanks for sharing

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some great finds! One of these days! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BiggusDiggus

Coffey-Cunningham.jpg Thanks Everyone for the support an kindness!! Im def goin back to the spot once the ground thaws again..Dont feel too bad Ahab, We dipped back down into the 30's today...boooo...but what are you gonna do?...I also wonder about how someone dropped that much change in one spot, especially during the depression that was a lot of dough...I imagine that it could of been one of the racers/mechanics laying down on the ground with a pocket full of change to work on their car...or a overly excited spectator jumping around in the infield...unfortunetly where the bleachers were are now covered by and undetectable area...but im hoping that safety regulations were a little less stringent back then ill be able to find more goodies spread about...But yeah the buckle is interesting for sure, I was not aware of any colonial activity up there..so looks like a trip to the historical society is in the near future...did a little more research last night and it turns out that prior to the 30's there was and old cow farm there, and now on google earth I think I can make out an old silo foundation imprint....Well see next time! Anyway thanks everyone again for the support and help..Hope everyone has a safe and relaxing holiday! HH!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice digs! Bet you can't wait for spring!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it would probably be hard but..........I'd take that any day!..............

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Great job on the research and nice hunt... Looks like you got a good area to hunt for awhile.

OP
OP
B

BiggusDiggus

12/30 Update

Went out today for a couple hours to swing the detector a bit since it was above freezing and had rained heavily yesterday. Heres todays take: 1918 dime-1909 dime-1923 dime-(2) Buffalo Nickels(1922ish??) (2) wheat pennies (1919??) Grand Trunk Railway Button(Canadian railroad button??1850s??) Musketball-(2)shotshells(nitro express12ga)..Stoked on my First Buffs!!! Had a good day but the wind was killing me, seems today is last last day for a while since freezing and snowy conditions are on the horizon...Happy New Years!!HH

003.JPG 001.JPG

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:occasion16::wav::occasion16: Drooling with envy! Sorry not a glamorous response to your FABULOUS finds, but I'm stuck at home nursing flu & recouping my knees from detecting overuse on their 70 year old bones. We're all gonna enjoy hearing about your future digs at that racetrack! Wonderful when research pays off big time! Andi

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great assortment of finds! The shoe buckle is really pretty,just what you would expect from that era.Nice silver too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread