Geological Maps online for free!

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
I just stumbled onto this website and boy is it user friendly! For all the folks that looking for the REAL reason for gold being in a certain area or looking for other spots of say Placer Gold look no further. I looked at the local areas here in Los Angeles and Ventura County which are based on the late Thomas Dibblee maps. On his maps Qoa is typically the lower Ancient River Gravels and the Qog the higher terrace Ancient River Deposits. USGS I believe may have those labels reversed but if in doubt look at placer areas you know of and see what the USGS map has it listed as.

Can be used for hardrock areas when you read the geology report on known gold deposit and it tells you what the host rock was for further prospecting.

As was said in the 90's-Man that's the bomb!
https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/mapview/

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The NGMDB is a great resource.

Land Matters has been offering the same service on all their Geology Maps for several years. Every geology map for the area you click on is returned when you use the "i" tool on Land Matters Geology Maps. This feature provides single click access to all Bedrock and Surficial Geologic Maps of various scales listed in the NGMDB catalog

Unlike when you use the USGS government map Land Matters doesn't track your map use, ip etc. or require you to install insecure software like Flash to view the maps.

The choice is yours.

Sorry Bill no Costa Rica yet. I hope someday Land Matters can provide the same service worldwide. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread