George II Farthing . . .

jc2

Sep 18, 2004
Philadelphia Pa
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE w/SunRay X1 Probe, Sovereign Elite w/SunRay S1 Probe, Garrett Infinium LS and the Tesoro Cortes'
Dug this earlier in the week and they usually don't come out of the fields with this much detail . . . I was extremely happy. I have a question for DonSJ, the weight of this coin is 4.36g and the diameter is 26.7mm, I'm assuming it's a 1760 Farthing because of the V in GEORGIVS but the weight is heavy for the year even with the piece missing and the diameter is 5mm larger. Could this be a counterfeit or do I have things wrong here?

Attachments

• George_II Farthing_obv.JPG
    George_II Farthing_obv.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 567
  • George_II Farthing_rev.JPG
    George_II Farthing_rev.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 568
Upvote 0
Nothing can get better than digging Irish coppers in PA. :headbang:

Kirk

Yeah 26mm is too big I think, maybe a small counterfeit halfpenny :dontknow: I will wait for Don...If it is, it one of the better look-a-likes I have seen, pretty accurate other than size :D

I think the 'B' for HIBERIA on the reverse is a little off where it should be & the number the other side might be a '4' so 174?

CRUSADER said:
Yeah 26mm is too big I think, maybe a small counterfeit halfpenny :dontknow: I will wait for Don...If it is, it one of the better look-a-likes I have seen, pretty accurate other than size :D

I think the 'B' for HIBERIA on the reverse is a little off where it should be & the number the other side might be a '4' so 174?

I think you may be right . . . thanks for your input.

Really nice Hibernia either way. The relief on that sucker is still nice! As Kirk said, its Awesome to dig those Irish King George's her in America PA to VA to where-ever :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

{Sentinel} said:
Really nice Hibernia either way. The relief on that sucker is still nice! As Kirk said, its Awesome to dig those Irish King George's her in America PA to VA to where-ever :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
;D ;D ;D

Looks like a cast counterfeit (halfpenny), and if so the U & V rules don't apply. It kind of looks like it was a 40s date but hard to say. Just call it an old Irish Colonial find and be happy! :thumbsup:

Iron Patch said:
Looks like a cast counterfeit (halfpenny), and if so the U & V rules don't apply. It kind of looks like it was a 40s date but hard to say. Just call it an old Irish Colonial find and be happy! :thumbsup:

Good call, IP! I agree, it is an old Irish copper that kicks Colonial buttocks! :headbang:

Kirk

Kirk PA said:
Iron Patch said:

Good call, IP! I agree, it is an old Irish copper that kicks Colonial buttocks! :headbang:

Kirk

When I find one of those I take it as a sign the site is prime for a sweet Colonial relic! :thumbsup:

. . . adding another photo of the copper just dug and also my hunting partners ring find the same day.

Attachments

• Half_Penny_GeoII.jpg
    Half_Penny_GeoII.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 276
  • Toms Ring.jpg
    Toms Ring.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 272
The action shot says it all. That is the 1st time it has seen the light of day in 230 years. :headbang: The Philly area is loaded with those type of finds. You just have to look where others haven't already and you will hit the Colonial payroll. :laughing9:

Have you found any shoe buckles in the fields? :dontknow:

Kirk

Kirk PA said:
The action shot says it all. That is the 1st time it has seen the light of day in 230 years. :headbang: The Philly area is loaded with those type of finds. You just have to look where others haven't already and you will hit the Colonial payroll. :laughing9:

Have you found any shoe buckles in the fields? :dontknow:

Kirk

Out of the hundreds of holes I've dug . . . I've only dug one shoe buckle, same field, and it was mangled.

thanks Neil . . .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back