Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess just lucky to even find a place to hunt this time of year.
Did manage to find a fresh cut of hay.
Targets were few, but no junk either so all was good.
Managed a single coin and in decent shape with a readable date 1769. Also is it just me or is that a "S" where there should be an "N" ?
In any case well worn, but little to no corrosion, quite rare for me.

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

Got this NS 1/2 cent a couple of days ago.

IMG_1561.JPG

Upvote 19

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the same date coin…also a counterfeit …nice one bud!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's one you don't see too often Rick. And I like the patina. Looks like a little further cleaning might really pay off. Nice one!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting they consider that an evasion, I would have never thought so. If that is the case, I guess mine is still a "typical" counterfeit, but why would a counterfeiter go to the trouble of correcting the letter G to an O on this coin? (93.5 grains) This is a 1781 Irish HP

Attachments

• 1781Circular.jpg
    1781Circular.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting they consider that an evasion, I would have never thought so. If that is the case, I guess mine is still a "typical" counterfeit, but why would a counterfeiter go to the trouble of correcting the letter G to an O on this coin? (93.5 grains) This is a 1781 Irish HP

I would say he incorrectly used the G punch and then tried to correct the mistake using the o over it.... where on Rick's coin expert opinion seems to think the S was purposely used. I've seen a lot of evasions and never looking that close regal so it is a surprise.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say he incorrectly used the G punch and then tried to correct the mistake using the o over it.... where on Rick's coin expert opinion seems to think the S was purposely used. I've seen a lot of evasions and never looking that close regal so it is a surprise.

I know not much about these, but also thought the legends are usually much more messed up.

Just noticed on the one Bramblefind posted as well as mine that the last letter in GEORGVIS certainly looks like a "3", two very odd mistakes.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know not much about these, but also thought the legends are usually much more messed up.

Just noticed on the one Bramblefind posted as well as mine that the last letter in GEORGVIS certainly looks like a "3", two very odd mistakes.

It's an S in Georgivs, it's just filled in, and if it was a 3 that would mean it's also a 3 and not an S in Hibernia because it's the same punch. I know what you mean by mistakes, but really, that is probably not a good way to put it because the S in Hibernia is intentional... at least the consuses of the people who know these things think it is and that is why it's listed as an evasion. I'm sure there's a better way to put it it's just not entering my mind at the moment. Also, It's dated 1769 but being an evasion I would have to think it was struck in the 1780s or 90s. It's a much more interesting find than a typical George III Hibernia.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread