George the 4th

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Found this in the place I found the 1/2 reale. I believe it to be a 6 pence coin. In great shape if you use your imagination and pretend the hole isn't there. I think this spot will keep me busy for a while. Unfortunately it won't have the amount of stuff Crusader is finding but then again, the settlement here is probably only 300 years old, not 3000. It is an 1826; the hole blocks the 1800 part of the date. Sorry about the out of focus pics. I'll try to get something better on here later.

<<The 4TH, not the 6TH! :-[ Made that correction. I know my Roman numerals. Just need to run my visual spell checker every once in a while>>

Attachments

• G IV 6 Pence 1826 front.jpg
    G IV 6 Pence 1826 front.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 327
  • G IV 6 Pence 1826 back.jpg
    G IV 6 Pence 1826 back.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 327
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Re: George the 6th

George 4th :icon_thumleft:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great find!!! your pics are good compared to some I see here!!!! HH Chug!!! :hello2: :hello2:

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505

shaun7 said:

He may have Roman dyslexia.

Great coin.

It kills me how many old holed coins there are. I'm guessing they did that so they could place them on a string so they wouldn't lose them. It doesn't seem to have been a very effective method.

Speaking of effective change holders, whatever happened to those rubber coin purses that you squeeze and the split opens up?

Those things would have sold like hotcakes in the 18th and 19th centuries.

-Fathead

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice one, got a 3 pence a few weeks ago myself. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
DMN

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

fathead said:
shaun7 said:

He may have Roman dyslexia.

Great coin.

It kills me how many old holed coins there are. I'm guessing they did that so they could place them on a string so they wouldn't lose them. It doesn't seem to have been a very effective method.

Speaking of effective change holders, whatever happened to those rubber coin purses that you squeeze and the split opens up?

Those things would have sold like hotcakes in the 18th and 19th centuries.

-Fathead
Finally caught what you meant! Can't believe I let that one pass! Thanks.

Found this wedding quote:

"Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe. "

Maybe a woman had it on a string or chain and it came off. A bit of a romantic tale, perhaps.

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
I do the same thing with my finds. It is fun to imagine how the item got lost. Although, I don't find as much cool stuff as you.

Happy Easter and Happy Hunting!

-FH

OP
OP
DMN

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
FH -- You're in MD. Got to be some pretty darn cool relics to find there--Colonial through CW. Have you spoken to any of the people from MD in this site? I'm sure they'd hook up with you if possible. I know if I thought I could get a belt plate at some point in my searches I would probably be out every day until 11 PM!

Never done any door knocking however I am at a point where it may start happening. There's enough farms around here to last a while. I'm thinking you may have the same fortune down there. I stay off the obvious areas because I figure they're already beat up pretty good and I don't really want the scraps. Looking for those virgin areas that other don't get to because they have to work a little for them.

Happy Easter to you as well. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread