George Washington Mourning Button? Hmmmmm....

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So this was kind of an exciting find. Although I'm a bit of a skeptic, this is listed as a George Washington mourning button by a few websites, including georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com and Stacks Bowers auctions.

It measures in at 34.5mm (very close to GW inaugurals at 34mm) and was featured in J. Harold Cobb's collection, who was the first major collector of GW's starting in the early 1950's. I dug this on Wednesday but decided to post it today, considering that George Washington died on December 14th. Again, still a bit skeptical without more documentation on it.🤔

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Another example:
GEORGE WASHINGTON MOURNING BUTTON 34.56mm BRASS DUG IN UPTON MASS RJ SILVERSTIENS GEORGEWASHINGTONINAUGURALBUTTONS.COM ? George Washington Inaugural Buttons

Upvote 29

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool button, first one I have seen posted. I have seen quite a few of the mourning cuff links posted and many have tried to attribute those to GW. The problem with that seems to be that so many of the mourning cuff links are also found in the UK. It will be interesting to see what Cru, IP and some others have to say about your button.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congratulations. Bucketlister. :icon_thumright:

Thrasher

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2018
Alabaster, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's an awesome find! you never know what you'll dig next.. congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful button, congratulations! :occasion14:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beauty. Sure looks legit to me. Who says there can't be two on top? Im voting banner anyway. Awesome find in awesome shape

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner also that's a Museum piece Well done!!!Tommy

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely stunning button. Congrats!

I posted the following statement on your post in New England Cellar Dwellers: I read somewhere on the GW site that one of the collectors had period advertisements which confirmed that this variety and others were, in fact, Washington Mourning buttons. I have never seen those advertisements and I have searched period newspapers for several years looking for them. I have yet to find even ONE advertisement for a Washington Mourning button during countless hours of searching. That is not to say that they don't exist but I would like to see them.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool button, first one I have seen posted. I have seen quite a few of the mourning cuff links posted and many have tried to attribute those to GW. The problem with that seems to be that so many of the mourning cuff links are also found in the UK. It will be interesting to see what Cru, IP and some others have to say about your button.
I agree, we have seen plenty of so called 'GW Mourning Cuffs' which I believe have no foundation of truth as they were produced in great numbers in the UK for general use. Some may not have even been connected to mourning, as they reflected the fashions of the times to bring back classical items from the Grand Tours. So they not only were for mourning but to show off how cultured you were.
As far as I can remember this is the first button type that I've seen posted. It's a very cool period piece, but once again, I think it's a bit of a leap of faith to connect it to GW without better documentation. I speculate all the time but it's doesn't make me right, & from all I can tell that is what this is. Believe it or believe not, are your options, & the users of this site will fall either side of the fence.
The 'urn type' is one I've seen many times on cuff-links but never on a button. Personally I would have expected a GW mourning button or cuff-link to have been commissioned in a way that would tell its story & look unique from other known buttons on the market, otherwise it suggests this was a variant of all the other commercially available types. They only needed to put "GW' on it, to make it stand out, otherwise they were just buying an off-the-shelf variant to use for that purpose, which is not quite so interesting.
Good news is that I haven't seen this type turn up in the UK yet, maybe IP knows? (Although I think this just points to it's rarity):hello2:

(PS. of course I would love to be proved wrong on this one, it's only my educated guess)

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this was kind of an exciting find. Although I'm a bit of a skeptic, this is listed as a George Washington mourning button by a few websites, including georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com and Stacks Bowers auctions.

It measures in at 34.5mm (very close to GW inaugurals at 34mm) and was featured in J. Harold Cobb's collection, who was the first major collector of GW's starting in the early 1950's. I dug this on Wednesday but decided to post it today, considering that George Washington died on December 14th. Again, still a bit skeptical without more documentation on it.樂

View attachment 1660622

View attachment 1660623

View attachment 1660624

Another example:
GEORGE WASHINGTON MOURNING BUTTON 34.56mm BRASS DUG IN UPTON MASS RJ SILVERSTIENS GEORGEWASHINGTONINAUGURALBUTTONS.COM ? George Washington Inaugural Buttons
Very wise of you to be skeptical. (It's easy to get carried away)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not see those in my area but realize how prized they are and historical. I mean George Washington rocked and was everyones hero.So to seeing history where every one was cheering our first president on is very cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread