Georgia Treasure Hunter Faces Prison Time

slomoe

Dec 24, 2008
Baltimore, Md.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I was at Chickamunga battlefield 3-22-2011 and read in a display case where a guy in 1997 pleaed guilty to digging and finding Civil War artifacts in the battlefield. He pleaed guilty to a misdomenor, he had to pay a $100.00 fine, could not come back to the battlefield for 1 year and they kept his metal detector. Then in 2005 he was caught again but because he pleaed guilty to a misdomenor of the same thing he was charged as a fellon. Had to pay a $11,000 fine and time. Slomoe :coffee2:

Seaadventure

Greenie
Mar 2, 2011
Serves the guy right!! I had been up to Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park in Georgia. a couple of years ago the site is also part of Mission Ridge area if you do the federal tour ( they give you a map & directions) if you ask. I went along the sites listed and was sick to see what had happened to these locations. Beer cans, napkins, used condoms. Just heart breaking what if I was taking my kids to these locations and having to explain the trash. They were also stealing the Bronze plates off the monuments locations.. Feds can only do so much.. :dontknow:

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Try and make it to Shiloh in West Tennessee just over the Mississippi line. It is so pretty and unencroched that it will make you tear up. :'( When I think of all of the urban destruction in the East I always look at Shiloh and realize what every Civil War park should be.

Seaadventure

Greenie
Mar 2, 2011
Thanks for the tip about Shiloh. I had been there many years ago when I was just a youngster. I think that's what got me into the Civil War. It is just so overwhelming to see all the headstones of these brave men. I know I couldn't hold a candle to these guys! Now these men were American Hero's.
It still boggles my mind 620,000 killed or diseased got them.
I supported 2 headstones for 2 men from my area of Florida that were killed in action Joseph McCants, & Charles Flagg that never had headstones. There are many more without. They are laid to rest in Hollywood cemetery in Richmond Va.
They recently had a reenactment of the battle of Natural Bridge south of Tall, Fl. I had gone to. What a great bunch of men and women to put this on. It was the first time in over 40 years they had been allowed to use the actual site of the battle. A very great family activity to see.
Again thanks for the tip I may have to make my way up there to see that one again.

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
I live about 30 miles south of Chickamauga. What an idiot. So many people out there giving us a bad name... >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread