German Ghost Town detecting and exploring...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Through my job on a military installation, I have just been given access to a few German ghost towns. These towns, 58 in all, were evacuated by the German Army between the early 1900s-1935 to form this training area. The Americans took it in 1945 and have used it ever since. I explored this ghost town yesterday and today, several cellar holes and a church ruin. I discovered wild boar tracks everywhere and that worried me. Well, getting back there today, I found the wild boar, LOL, a Shepard and a herd of sheep. The tracks kind of look the same. I had a good laugh over that but there really are wild boar around.
10Sep08sheep.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the town ruins. Since these towns were moved, the people took the houses with them, stone by stone and rebuilt elsewhere. They left the church shells as monuments to the towns. Some of the towns date to 800 AD. The following are three cellar holes close together. Some of the cellar holes have caved in.
10Sep08cellar1.jpg

10Sep08cellar2.jpg

10Sep08cellar3.jpg

A foundation between the cellar holes. I took a site picture but it came out blurry. Was hoping someone could help me find trash pits and outhouses however, I do not think they used them much. All forms of trash and human waste went onto the manure pile and eventually made its way to the farm fields.
10Sep08foundation.jpg

Front of the church.
10Sep08churchfront.jpg

Back of the church, that tree on the right is a good 5’ wide. Can you spot the detector?
10Sep08churchback.jpg

Peering through the church door.
10Sep08churchdoor.jpg

This is an awesome site!!! However, it is a military training area and has been for 101 years. The ground everywhere is saturated with brass ammo casings, live rounds and trash throughout the years. The only way to detect is to clean an area out, then go back over it. I dug this old mason’s trowel today and a 1921 coin yesterday, not pictured. And a big pile of brass.
10Sep08trow.jpg

I have noted many people who MD also hunt mushrooms so here is a picture of a basket of German mushrooms my wife and daughter just brought home. It is customary here to fry the mushrooms then add an egg or two and scramble them with. They are tasty and have a wild taste to them. HH, Mike
10Sep08mush.jpg

Upvote 0

spritch

Sep 13, 2007
Commerce,Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites MXT
Mike
My wife, daughter and I will be spending a week in Oberstaufen in June. Is there any prayer of me being able to bring my detector and doing any detecting in that area?

Stuart

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, Mike, for another glimpse into your detecting adventures in Germany. I love the cellarhole pictures. :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread