Getting a New Detector Soon... any words of advice???

TreasureGuy25

Dec 1, 2009
North Suburbs, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Ace 250, ProPointer
So I've had an Ace 250 for about a year and a half now, and have loved/mastered it. I'm ready for the next level up. I can't drop the kind of money that an E-Trac would cost but I was thinking an AT Pro? Would be nice to stick with a Garrett machine. I'm looking for more depth and better discrimination. Ace 250 is difficult to use in very trashy areas. I think the most I could spend is about $600, maybe $700. But now I've been hearing about these problems people are having with the AT Pro... any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Happy Hunting!

Ted

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari
my dad got a minelab safari for around 800ish I think, and he's done well with that. it has the numbers for the discrimination and depending on the soil can go pretty deep. I've used it as well, and i got the hang of it pretty quick and have gotten some of my best finds with it

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
filthyflyer39 said:
my dad got a minelab safari for around 800ish I think, and he's done well with that. it has the numbers for the discrimination and depending on the soil can go pretty deep. I've used it as well, and i got the hang of it pretty quick and have gotten some of my best finds with it

I took my Minelab Safari to a local county park for its first run since I bought it used for $600, it was all but new, had maybe 3 hours use when I bought it..... I found that it is really easy to use, and deep :icon_thumright:..... Didn't find anything to brag about, but I was finding and pulling quarters dimes and nickles from over 8 inches from the late 60's, just none were silver or jewelry......

Took it for a 2.5 hour test drive...... Would call it a great success and loking forward to more, love the Safari....... :icon_thumright:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think about a whites xlt, used minelab SE or EXII NO DFX

d-dub

Apr 15, 2009
Chicago, Il
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Excal II
I would have to say a used Explorer II. I trust Mr. Senior's opinion on this one and a quality used one can be had for around $600.00. Just keep your eyes peeled in the For Sale section here. They are frequently available.

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D P Bob said:
Think about a whites xlt, used minelab SE or EXII NO DFX
[/quote

BOB!!! DFX works fine for me, and others on this site.
TreasureGuy 25, Good luck with your choice.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
D-Dub said:
I would have to say a used Explorer II. I trust Mr. Senior's opinion on this one and a quality used one can be had for around $600.00. Just keep your eyes peeled in the For Sale section here. They are frequently available.
I'd say Mr. Senior is the trusted voice in this bunch of coconuts. Ditto squared!

Our most consistent good hunters here are using ETracs but that is cost-prohibitive.

OP
OP
TreasureGuy25

TreasureGuy25

Dec 1, 2009
North Suburbs, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Ace 250, ProPointer
Thanks for the help guys. I'm still deciding, but glad I know of a few good options now!

HH

Ted

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread