Getting a new Garrett most likely...which one?

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
New guy here, so please be kind! I currently have a Garrett Grand Master Hunter that I purchased in the early 90's. I never really mastered it so to speak and used it sporadically over the years. I am interested in getting a more up to date and more lightweight detector compared to the current behemoth I own. I would like a good versitile machine that I can use to detect on the beach(probably Outer Banks area and Florida on the odd occasion) but mainly here in Virginia where I live. My new house backs up to a Civil War battlefield, and I recently pulled out the GMH out and found a minie ball in my backyard, so that was encouraging.

I have narrowed it down between a GTP1350 and a GTI 1500 as they are more in my price range. Since there are a lot more experienced folks on here, I was wondering if anyone could give out some advice on which one would be a better detector or if I should consider something else altogether. My top range is going to be about $600. Any comments will be welcomed as I know the members here are more experienced than me. Thanks!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Are you sure you don't want to learn that Grand Master hunter of yours? It's a great machine. It is heavier then the GTP 1350/GTI 1500, but you can build up your endurance to that. You can also order an arm rest to help with the weight issues. The Grand Master has a true all metal mode, not available on the other Garrett machines you are asking about. What might be a third alternative, is to get the ACE 250 with extra coils. That would get you adequate depth, simplicity for turn on and go, plus the ability to get into tight spots with that sniper coil. The Master Hunter could be used to hunt in most other places.

Now from what you are describing, you like to relic hunt. I think that the GTI 1500 might be the better choice above the GTP 1350, as it has 5 increments for sizing as the GTP 1350 only has 3. The standard round stock coil with the GTI 1500 will give you a bit better discrimination accuracy then the GTP 1350. But, you are paying about $100.00 more for the GTI over the GTP.

FIELD TEST OF GTI 1500 BELOW
http://www.losttreasure.com/fieldtests/ArchiveView.cfm?ID=LT19981222

FIELD TEST OF GTP 1350 BELOW
http://www.garrett.com/hobby/reviews.asp?pid=1152130wne

Attachments

• th_SMILY20250.jpg
    th_SMILY20250.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 254
  • th_SMILY20250.jpg
    th_SMILY20250.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 261

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
of the machines you mentioned i would go for the 1500 myself.

OP
OP
P

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Thanks John for the input. I think my GMH needs to be sent to get serviced as it acts up quite a bit. I have to turn it off and on again quite often as it starts ringing and won't stop, etc. I don't have the greatest back either, so that is another reason I wanted to upgrade as well as far as the size and weight. I would have liked to have gotten the GTI 2500 but it is currently out of my price range according to the wife, haha. I will probably get the GMH serviced, but I will wait until after I get the new one. I still may consider the ACE, but having the GMH with all its features, even with it being analog, makes it difficult to go with it. I will check out those links later tonight and consider my research. Thanks again for the input as it is really inciteful!

denverjoe04

Feb 25, 2008
Denver
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
get an ace 250 and get a sniper coil along with it and save yourself 300 bones. unless your into relics and gold nugget hunting...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread