getting back into diving. Did I score on these items? think they were crazy cheap

6packor2

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got some US divers scuba gear at a price I thought was insane. I hit the buy it now fast as I could. calypso back bladder bcd complete setup gauges conshelf reg and octopus reg 80cf tank n other goodies for 190.00 I also picked up a fisher 1280x aquanaut w case for 160.00 have I been out of diving so long that scuba is cheap now or did I just happen oin at right time right place.

scubabcd.jpg scubaback.jpg scubasetup.jpg

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You got a good deal. The 1280 isnt great in saltwater. Good luck!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't know if that is a good deal. The U.S. Divers Conshelf regulator was last made in 1977. That stuff is ancient. U.S. Divers doesn't exist anymore. The company is now called Aqualung. You may not be able to get any repair parts. Make sure the rubber (hoses) is not rotten. Check the BC bladder for holes. If it leaks, throw it away. Dive shops will not fill the pre-1986 aluminum tanks. Don't risk your life with cheap, outdated equipment. Your life is worth more than $190.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

prosub

Jan 12, 2013
up state ny
Detector(s) used
X-Call2,AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have dove before you know what your equipment is I started with same old stuff in its day top of the line gear(got mine at a garage sale).I dove that gear two years .I also was not certified that limited were I could get air fills.If your tank is a Luxfer or any alu.tank made pre 1990 with 6531 alloy no one will fill it( DOT #7235).Hydro must bo done every 5 yrs. cost is about $45.some shops in FLA have a latter cut off date on all ALU.tanks.The two best things I did was get certified and buy a new BC and regulator. thats your decision.The old stuff ended up costing me alot of money but I still enjoyed the learning curve my 1st UDwater detecter was a Fisher 1280x a turn on and go unit.Be safe and have fun....

twogunz

Apr 13, 2005
Aluminum tanks are sketchy ,ake sure you dont have one of teh older Luxfer. For some reason they were susceptible;e to sustained load cracking in teh neck area. If it has not been VIP get er done It could be she is a-ok but better safe than sorry. The BC is ok non weight integrated type thats ok wear a weight belt. 1290 not so good in salt but from time to mtime works ok. Regulator if you are doing underwater salvage or metal detecting. Go to Vintage Scuba - Vintage Scuba Gear at Vintage Double Hose and pick up either a Kraken or a Pheonix double hose. You can hoover on these all day long and always get more air than you need. All internals are conshelf and titan. I been using a pheonix mod 1 and mod 2 for a number of years. Dumped all my single hose cause they suck the double hose doesn't. For teh Bc rinse it in fesh water let it drain from inside teh bladder then inflate and let it sit for an hour see if it holds air.

There are some good deals out there, find em and use them. Regs should always be overhauled before use if you do not know teh history on them. Looks like you got a good deal thus far.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got some US divers scuba gear at a price I thought was insane. I hit the buy it now fast as I could. calypso back bladder bcd complete setup gauges conshelf reg and octopus reg 80cf tank n other goodies for 190.00 I also picked up a fisher 1280x aquanaut w case for 160.00 have I been out of diving so long that scuba is cheap now or did I just happen oin at right time right place.

View attachment 743600 View attachment 743601 View attachment 743602

BCD need care and maintenance, can this hold air? Do the valves and OPV work? Is the hose dry-rotted?

The Conshelf is an old reg, but's it's simple and reliable design. It will need a complete overhaul before using.

The tank is garbage. The industry changed the alloy in modern tanks because of a perceived problem with sustained load cracking with the old ones. Almost nobody will fill them any more, so make sure you check you local shops BEFORE you drop the $$$ for a new hydro and vis.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.hawaii.edu/ehso/diving/Cracking and Ruptures of SCBA and SCUBA Aluminum Cylinders.pdf

List of Scuba Tanks Made From 6351-T6 Alloy

The Latest Victim of 6351-T6 Scuba Tanks

The numbers are interesting compared to the hype but in cases like this do you care about the other 25,399,999 tanks or just that 1?

You can get good newer used tanks for about $100.

Get it all checked out.

Remember this is suppose to be about having fun and jumping in "over one's head" won't be.

Just another reason why we use hookah...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little late with advice - the OP has had a whole year to drown if it failed.

dammit twogunz! I hate necro-posting!

I looked at the OP's profile and he last logged in a few weeks after that post, so maybe did, maybe he didn't drown.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread