Getting back into it...considering XP Deus...and what happened to White's?

salvatorparadise

Mar 31, 2003
bexley, oh
Hey everybody! I got my start with metal detecting in 1993 on my 13th birthday. Mom got me a really crappy Radio Shack detector. First place we went was Fort Niagara (we didn't know it was illegal, very illegal). First find...6 lb cannonball form War of 1812. Changed my life. Have been addicted to the hunt ever since. Today I own an auction business selling and cleaning estates. Another form of "the hunt."

I think I got a Bounty Hunter next then came across a used White's XLT. I ran the hell out of that machine, finding gold, early coins, artifacts, spanish silver...all sorts of cool stuff. I probably got away from the hobby in 98 or so when I went off to college.

Anyhow, all these years later I have the bug again. I started out in the Niagara County NY area (pretty fertile grounds) but am in Central Ohio now (still pretty good place to dig I'd think).

I'd love a Minelab CTX3030 but I think my wife would kill me if I spent that much and honestly I want to get started before going into the deep end. XP Deus looks like a great option to start. Will be doing a lot of woods, homesteads and probably beach when we go on vacation.

And hey, what happened to White's? In the 90s Whites seemed like it was THE MACHINE to buy. Minelab was just getting started. There were some other really super machines out there, but all I heard about was White's. What the heck happened? Seems they aren't talked about as much anymore.

Anyhow. I hope to be posting more. Will be ordering my machine soon.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. My lovely wife's parents live in a c. 1795 log cabin that was the site of a spring house that brought the settlers from miles around to fill their jugs. Never hunted. They have 19 acres surrounding the spring. I'm pretty excited to hunt that area!

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people will probably advise the Equinox as being versatile and good value. I dont understand what happened with Whites. They seem to have quite a large range but these days light weight, waterproof, multi frequency is desirable.
Welcome back.

Chub

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Welcome back. I started in 2005 with a cheap Bounty Hunter. Then I proceeded to hunt with the White's DFX from 2008-2011.

I took time off in college and my early professional career but have been back at it for several years. In 2018 I put down the money and got a CTX. Loved the hell out of that machine. It was having some issues with the coil so I sent it in for repair a couple months ago. I bought the Equinox 800 not knowing how long it would be (pandemic and all) until I saw the CTX again.

I love the Nox. So much so I sold the CTX. The Equinox is an incredible value and very versatile. I think it has better depth detection than the CTX although I think the target ID is a bit less reliable.

Never used a deus so I'm not speaking from experience but I can't recommend the Nox 800 enough. Bart at Big Boys Hobbies hooked me up. Great place to buy online if you are comparing prices.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Oh and as for White's, I'm not sure! They were the cream of the crop and it seems like everyone else's technology eventually passed theirs. They still exist of course but they are a pretty niche market these days. Loved my DFX though and still have it around as a spare/machine for friends to use.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what happened with White's. I love my XP Deus, although the XP Orx will give you the run for your money. EXTREMELY well built, long warranty, feather weight, best machine in iron on the market. I have hit quarters at a foot so good for coin shooting too.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my Whites MXT 95% of the time, it still kicks @$$! I still love my single frequency. The architecture and electronics design are old, but I wouldn't trade it away for anything. If I wanted a multi freq, I'd get the Minelab Eq 600, and still keep my MXT.
Jon 8-) :cat::occasion14::headbang:

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites lost there way, v3i not sure don’t here about that expensive machine much. Xp deus and minelab 800, and the up coming notka makro detectors are gaining some serious attention. So there you go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread