getting GOOD pictures of coins

joyce222

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All:
here are a couple of pictures of my very best find this summer/
an 1830 1/2dime in great shape found with my AT Pro at a local cellar hole—7” down giving a 77-78 reading.
The real reason for posting is I am wondering how you get such great pictures of your coins ???
these using a Nikon coolpix-L5 and they aint that great// any help -thanks Perry

O

Old Silver

Use a scanner. After scanning you can enlarge pics, if you need to, and they are nice clear pics.

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This may help you ...

When posting coins or artefacts on a forum for identification or to a magazine for publication, many detectorists still struggle with a camera for a decent image, little realising that most objects can easily, quickly, and effectively be ‘photographed’ by a scanner ... also close-ups.
Simple Scanning for Detectorists | John Winter

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your camera has a macro setting and your lighting is bright, you will get good results as well...vn

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most important--- natural daylight, no fluorescent or soft white. next--forget your trembling hands, I use a tripod from my Winchester spotting scope, any tripod will do. set camera for Macro setting, no flash, then get as close to the tatget as the camera will allow you to auto-focus. I use canon A810 16MP, set at 1200X1600 resolution on the tripod on my back porch in sun or clouds with a wood block covered with duct tape for a good contrast background color and also to get the lens as close as possible with the lens aimed straight at the target taking care to avoid glare and shadows. take a peek at my listings on ebay-- user name is in my TNET profile. Good Luck and start taking GREAT photos. Rich

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good camera helps. Back in the past before I had a good camera I would use my cheap one with a magnifying glass in front of it to get close ups.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned..use the macro setting. Then you can zoom into the coin and do a screenshot..that's what I do and you can see every tiny detail

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions