getting grand son started

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
Hi gang. Just ordered the grand son a garrett ace 250 he will be 11 this year and has expressed a real interest
in metal detecting so my finds might be down this summer as I will spend the time getting him started and learning
all the good habits that we practice and maybe by fall I can move him up to my whites xlt. what do you think anyone
have any pointers thanks. camperlee

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I think thats a great idea, and from what i hear that ace 250 should be a good entry-level machine.
If he should get discouraged, plant a couple "keepers" (without him knowing, of course), and point him in the right direction. Good luck!

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Sounds like a plan. Kids catch on to technical real quick. The more subtle things will have to come with experience. The bonus is, you get a hunting partner that is pretty special.

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
BH, Prizm IV, Tesoro Cortez!
Good for you Camperlee, I know many experienced people swear by the Ace 250! Good luck and happy hunting to the both of you :thumbsup:

Jim

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good idea, Camperlee. Encourage him now while he has the interest. The Ace is a great machine, easy to use and lightweight to swing.

HH
p.s. I personally would never plant coins for someone his age. I had that done to me once and after that I questioned every good find I made. :(

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Michiganne said:
Sounds like a good idea, Camperlee. Encourage him now while he has the interest. The Ace is a great machine, easy to use and lightweight to swing.

HH
p.s. I personally would never plant coins for someone his age. I had that done to me once and after that I questioned every good find I made. :(
Sorry Michiganne, I'll have to dissagree. My boy was TOTALLY frustrated untill I planted a couple finds. Now, he wants to hunt with dad whenever I go out, even my 5-year old daughter loves going out with her dime-store $20 detector. It's crazy, considering the fact they both have the attention span of mosquitos.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Michiganne, I'll have to dissagree. My boy was TOTALLY frustrated untill I planted a couple finds. Now, he wants to hunt with dad whenever I go out, even my 5-year old daughter loves going out with her dime-store $20 detector. It's crazy, considering the fact they both have the attention span of mosquitos.

So do you have to keep hiding more coins every time he gets discouraged because he's not finding good stuff? :icon_scratch: How will he feel when/if he finds out he wasn't finding coins by his own skill? I have hidden coins and stuff in our sandbox for my younger set as a game and they did enjoy that.

Like I said, I wouldn't do it but hey, FFD, if it works for you and yours, more power to you. :thumbsup:

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread