Getting my V back on!

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Hi all,
Last year I found an insane number of V-nickels (22). This year, my count was way down (3), until my last two hunts in which I doubled that number to 6. Last week 8/24, I went back to my nearby super oldie spot. It is a place which was supposedly 'hunted out' by old timers and then several group hunts. Last year I hit it and between Indian heads, V-nickels, Barber dimes and quarters, a shield nickel, and a seated, I probably pulled out close to 60 coins. This year, it is so thin, you can go and spend 5 hours and not even find a signal you'd try to dig. The allure of 1800's coins pulls me back to this place, and last week I got lucky and pulled a coin. My oldest V-nickel to date (1884) -- can only get 1 older.
Yesterday (8/29), I went to an entirely different but thin location. I started out pulling a buffalo nickel (1925). Along the way, I pulled 3 wheats (40-d, 45, 46). Then I hit the perfect sounding quarter signal. Was I to find my first silver quarter on the year (last year I was already up to 6 on my way to 8)? I dug so sure I had hit it, would it be a Barber or a Washington, or my first ever SLQ? No, it was some religious pendent that had lost its guilding >:( Silver starved I wandered far and wide. I went way out from the former hotspots. I got an IH sounding signal, but it ended up being a real old pin with glass stones. Then I climbed steepest of hilsides hoping for some sledding or erosion spill. I was really silver weary. Finally! A silvery sound under my coil. On the surface of the gray eroding hillside, was a silver dime covered in gray stuff ... what would it be? A Rosie (46-D) that obviously had been pounded by years of water and dirt running over it. Still silver, finally! On my way back I passed through a somewhat expansive area that I had only given a little time at in the past. And there I ran across a 2 V- nickel pocket spill (1903, 1905) -- they don't call me the V-nickler for nothing. Anyway, that area where the spill was is on my list. A lot of hiking to get to it though...

Sorry about the cruddiness of the cents, I am waiting to tumble in bulk:
dime and cents.jpg jewelry .jpg
and my calling card:
Nickels .jpg
HH All!
-Jon

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
I'll leave it as is but if you want to say 8 and follow it by ) you get 8) Which 8 silver quarters last year for me was 8) but i meant eight) above

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG working your old hot spot, I gotta wait for the corn to be picked to get
back into my super oldie spot I found this spring, where I did dig a 1883 V.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
"Silver starved I wandered far and wide."

Aye yie yie!

We gotta have a group hunt to hear this sort of story telling in person! Love it!

Well, love the digs better! Awesome finds!

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woo hoo!!! Nice V's! Reminds me of that show last year with the hot blonde alien girl... I wonder if they will renew V for another year... anyways great job!

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
makton said:
Jon,
Good hunts!!! We have to get out soon cause this itch is driving me crazy.

Todd

Todd,
have you tried this ointment for that itch?
s-Z1ejNA9xvz3WDqnpKJnPmGVkHEYw8H9_R7m9-5Kxfb8NoCDxYeVhh9iC4mbJM9bT938kZzChlnUouvrbhqpwf9EbD_D0...jpg
We do have to get out soon though

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
p2c said:
makton said:
Jon,
Good hunts!!! We have to get out soon cause this itch is driving me crazy.

Todd

Todd,
have you tried this ointment for that itch?

We do have to get out soon though

HAHA! I need some of that salve.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Victory". I've noticed that my v-nickel count has gone down this year too. It's got to be the amount of hours we're putting in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread