Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently ordered some pay-dirt to try out my panning skills. (Figured it was a sure thing and would get to me faster than I could get out and find it myself)... Well, I found a little color and now my metal detecting and treasure hunting habit has developed into gold fever. And, after 6 months of 60+ hour work weeks, I'm finally looking at some legitimate time off starting in October. So you know what I want to do before winter really sets in... get out and enjoy some quiet time on a river... where I might find some gold, and maybe catch a trout for dinner.

I'm currently interested in detecting, crevicing and panning for gold. Sluice seems cool, but figure I'll start with the basics. (I've always enjoyed off-roading, hiking, camping and fishing so it seems like a natural progression, right.) I have minimal gold related equipment; just a pan that someone gave me and an HF coil I recently purchased. And I've never tried my detector in mineralized soil, so I've got a bit to learn. I do have a capable 4x4 with some armor and recovery gear, and plenty of camping and fishing gear.

I have been watching a lot of youtube videos and reading forum posts on tactics for these types of prospecting. I'm contemplating the gpaa membership to get me started, and currently window shopping on-line for classifiers and crevice tools. But, do I really need all nine sizes of classifiers? I'm guessing not.

Anyway, I thought I'd reach out to the forum and see if someone here is willing to meet-up and show me a few things? Perhaps let me try some other equipment so I don't end up with a bunch of stuff I don't need or that's crap? And get me on to some nuggets. :)

I'm willing to contribute in whatever way I can in return. Be it gas, food, beverages, etc...

20170923_170943.jpg

Upvote 0

davidhutto

Greenie
Sep 18, 2017
Leesville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm new myself too at prospecting, but not at the idea.

I would like to put together a list of some places in the southeast to get started with in this thread:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...ng-love-i-got-no-claim-blues.html#post5552876

so it's a noobie list of how to go out, and just start your fun with prospecting, and finding small amounts of treasure to keep beginners happy with just the hobby aspect.

In my case I'm trying to work an area where I'll be camping near. I'm trying to keep my base camp steady for a while, and seeking traveling in groups to increase the search effort.

In terms of equipment, I'm about to get a $100 mini sluice/crevice kit, and a fly wheel for fine gold extraction(about $300).

If all works out well with small finds, and extracting trace amounts of flour gold, then it will be the dredge/highbanker Combo by early spring 2018, as I intend to start my prospecting in mid-december 2017.

I suggest just talking around, as your question isn't new, and trying to find the networking areas of gold prospecting out.

Last edited:

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Hey O, I am the Outings Coordinator for the Delta Gold Diggers, a prospecting club based out of Stockton, CA. Our next outing is scheduled for October 14 at one of our claims in Souther El Dorado County. We will be meeting in the parking lot of the Grocery Outlet in Jackson, CA, at 8:00 am and leaving for the claim at 8:15. I'm sure you'll see a variety of equipment in use. This will be my first venture to this claim but I have been told it is a good area for metal detecting the high benches. Come on out and join us. The invite is open to everyone.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There you go. Perfect opportunity to get your feet wet and make some contacts.

OP
OP
O

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally! Adding it to my Calendar now. Thanks, ONCrazy!

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Totally! Adding it to my Calendar now. Thanks, ONCrazy!

No problem. DGD is a free club. Several of our members also belong to other clubs like the East Bay Prospectors. If you are looking for a club, you can look them up on the web. If you would like to go to our monthly meeting next Wednesday, PM me and I can give you all the information.

Edit: You can also find us at Meetup.com or using the Meetup application.

OP
OP
O

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the club info. I was checking out The web pages for both those clubs and it looks like The DGD has some great events they put on.

The usual problem for me with anything during the week, such as meetings, is that I often have to work till 8 or 10pm. So it makes attending events during the week a bit difficult, but in the rare times when work is light or I have some time off I will definitely be there.

As for the outing on the 14th, Im actually excited. Thanks again for the invite, definitely looking forward to it.

OP
OP
O

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Thanks. It's on my list to check out .

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm new myself too at prospecting, but not at the idea.

I would like to put together a list of some places in the southeast to get started with in this thread:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...ng-love-i-got-no-claim-blues.html#post5552876

so it's a noobie list of how to go out, and just start your fun with prospecting, and finding small amounts of treasure to keep beginners happy with just the hobby aspect.

In my case I'm trying to work an area where I'll be camping near. I'm trying to keep my base camp steady for a while, and seeking traveling in groups to increase the search effort.

In terms of equipment, I'm about to get a $100 mini sluice/crevice kit, and a fly wheel for fine gold extraction(about $300).

If all works out well with small finds, and extracting trace amounts of flour gold, then it will be the dredge/highbanker Combo by early spring 2018, as I intend to start my prospecting in mid-december 2017.

I suggest just talking around, as your question isn't new, and trying to find the networking areas of gold prospecting out.

Skip the wheel until you have learned to pan or have accumulated 5 gal bucket FULL of fine gold you can't extract. Not worth the $$ for most folks, though some love 'em. No point buying one until you have enough material to feed it though!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread