Getting past that field of masking IRON!

poptab

Aug 24, 2008
I was detecting (White’s MXT with the 6x10 Eclipse DD coil) on a patch of land that once had an old house. Every swing sounded like popcorn popping in my headphones with the VDI on Iron (and hot rock) a good amount of the time. I dug a bunch of iron junk and around 40 coins (at around 1-3"). 2 Wheaties in the 40’s, some 60’s / 70’s and more modern stuff. The range of dates would lead me believe there’s some older deeper coins being masked by the mass amount of iron in the ground. I had a few overloads as well (probably from large pipes and a septic tank) Any suggestions / tricks on dealing with the mass amount of iron or do I just have to suck it up clear (lot’s of target digging) that layer of junk to get below it? Maybe use a 4x6 coil?

Thanks

Poptab

I would clean out a spot, then get a good ground balance, discriminate on second notch, trigger forward, use relic mode, put on the 4X6. This will probably be the calmest you will be able to make that nasty ground. You may need to back the threshold down to no hum as well. Then, cherry pick the heck out of it. Once thats done you can go back and dig some of that iron to uncover more goodies.

Tin Nugget said:
I would clean out a spot, then get a good ground balance, discriminate on second notch, trigger forward, use relic mode, put on the 4X6. This will probably be the calmest you will be able to make that nasty ground. You may need to back the threshold down to no hum as well. Then, cherry pick the heck out of it. Once thats done you can go back and dig some of that iron to uncover more goodies.

Exactly right.........also slow your swing down too in that type of real trashy areas..............That helps me out too, Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back