getting permission from large companys?

arnoldziffel

Jan 8, 2010
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Re: getting permission from large company's?

not sure what large companies you are talking about. I never really thought about it until I read your post. If you are talking about a company that has a large office building, warehouse, or factory of some sort, I would think you could start with the facilities manager or maintenance supervisor. If they didn't have the authority, they should be able to tell you who to ask.

OP
OP
A

andrew96

Feb 7, 2010

ArnoldZiffel said:
not sure what large companies you are talking about. I never really thought about it until I read your post. If you are talking about a company that has a large office building, warehouse, or factory of some sort, I would think you could start with the facilities manager or maintenance supervisor. If they didn't have the authority, they should be able to tell you who to ask.

I was thinking Dominion Power,(whomever owns the Richmond raceway),CSX,etc.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Right out of high school, I used to work in the office of the largest produce firm west of the Mississippi (lettuce, brocolli, cabbage, etc...). As such, they leased and/or owned massive amounts of ag land (furroughed fields) all through out central CA and down the the deserts. Using this company as an example, I doubt you'd have ever gotten an answer from the bureaucracy there, if you tried to crack in to it. Ie.: a letter would have gone un-answered (afterall, what do YOU do with junk mail from total strangers? ::)) And trying to get through the switchboard to someone who actually has authority, would be voice-mail-h*ll time. And the bottom line is, even if you did get an answer, it would probably be "no" (why should they be bothered?).

I don't know what type large coorporations/sites you're referring to, but continuing with my example: the fields are not fenced, and dirt roads criss-cross them, and they're fallow 3 or 4x per year. About the only thing anyone here is really concerned with here, is theft of ag. equipment.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

I have not had much luck getting permission from corporate owned porperties. Sorry.

Hope you have better luck.

Ray S ECenFL

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Last year I attempted to get permission from Norfolk and Southern..(no-folk-in-way)...for short.

And that's just what they told me.

Liability WAS their reasoning...even tho it was unused, abandoned and tracks removed land.

I had a dog of a time finding the right people to ask...the area was secured by an unlocked, rusty, old gate (which was open and looked broken) with an access road right down to the area. There was an active railline in the vicinity and I explained at length I would not be anywhere near ( ::)) their trains....I never even mentioned metal detecting in my request...simply an historical survey... :dontknow:

No means NO.

Less than 2 weeks later, I wen back to the area...just to look mind you...that detector in my trunk was stayin there... :angel7:
A brand new lock and chain on a closed gate :'(

I shoulda just shut up and been the casual hiker or hunter that frequented the old trails instead of opening my big mouth. :icon_scratch: Just parked my car at the top of the hill like everyone else there. You know...there's dozens of em there and nobody says a hoot to them. But they never asked permission either.

Al

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deepskyal said:
Last year I attempted to get permission from Norfolk and Southern..(no-folk-in-way)...for short.

You don't count. Is that clear?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread