Getting started in Texas

G

gwmarsh

My wife and I are extremely new to this and I would appreciate any help, pointers or info. Not to sound too novice, but what is the best way to get started in cache searching, gold panning/mines, old indian and battle sites? We live in N. Texas north of Dallas. We are not doing this to find the one cache that makes us rich, it's the history of the area and the thrill of the "hunt" that intrigues us. Any info to help us on our way would be much appreciated... things like what books to read, map/s sources, etc. Thanks!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
United States Treasure Atlas, by Thomas P. Terry Volume 9 A Guide to Treasure in Texas by Michael Paul Henson would be 2 I'm aware of

Hitman

Dec 29, 2004
Welcome Texans

I live near Houston, there is alot up north of Dallas. Look at any of my forums on here under Hitman and alot of info you can use there too.Best place is your local library it is full of useful info. The texas fort trail is all around you and google on places like LLano, it has alot of history. Just depends on what you are looking for

Hitman

OP
OP
G

gwmarsh

Thanks hitman!! The library sounds like it will be a great resource...

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Most county's put out a county history book .
I use one to find new places in Lee co. TX. when I'm going to another county I stop by the library to check up on there county for a book.
I used one in Houston co. to find an old church where arbor meeting were held since the 1840s. and was used as a recruiting place for Civil War soldiers.
that place turned up an 1890 and 1899 nickel a 1860 half dime and a gold locket.
for specific areas there great books.

Red

P

peterjl

awesome, i'll have to check the books out myself since I am a novice as well and I live in beaumont texas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread