Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2012
Torrington CT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings,
I have a Garrett AT Pro and the Garrett ProPointer that I am learning to use at an old County Fair grounds. So far i have found only clad coins (which I am grateful for) and NO silver. The At Pro is a dime finding fool. It does real well on quarters and pennies. I even found a 1972 Kennedy half diollar. I haven't found a single nickel or any jewelry either. I have my AT Pro set at 30 for Iron discrimination and I dig all signals. Lots of pulltabs and bottle caps but that's all. The dimes, quarters and halves it picks up great. I LOVE the hobby and my new AT Pro. Am I doing something wrong or is it just a matter of time till I connect with other targets? I have over five dollars in clad coingae and I can't wait to go out tomorrow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you're doing good so far. And you're right, it just takes time and getting used to the machine.
If the Fair ground has been closed for a long time, it has probably been hunted before. That might account for the lack of silver.
Keep at it tho. No place is ever hunted out of silver.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Don't use any discrimination. That's why you find no nickles. CT, old fair ground, go for the DEEP signals. That's where the high value old coins will be. Good luck! hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
on settting for discrimation - the old saying is if you are hitting nickles then if the golds there you will hit it too -- so check you discrimation level * using a nickle --if your machine does not pick up the nickle you got your discrimation level set to high , lower it a bit until the nickle comes into "range' but only until it does --if pulltabs are coming in as well they should not sound as "clear" as the nickle & gold rings do * listen carefully for "tonal" sound differances from your detector between the the items -- it should be easily noticible to your ear if you listem closely -- you say your getting lots of pulltabs and lots of copper based clad but "zero" gold and silver -- a highly skilled detectorist in the past might have "cherry picked the easy to sort out "high tone" silver and then went back and ear sorted out a fair bit of the gold from the pull tabs -- a old fair ground would be a natural place to start off looking for any detectorist --so its highlly likely its been hit before * however the old saying is "no one gets it all' ( no one is the "perfect" detectorist , we all miss a bit now and then-- so no place is totally hunted out -- hard to hunt maybe but if its there it can be found --your machine is a good one --look in out of the way spots at the old fair ground look in less easy to get at areas , that other folks might "pass up"--detectorist are like most folks --they tend to be lazy and seek the easist and shortest path from A to B -- and they tend to hunt the "easy ground" and pick the "low hanging fruit"

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are digging everything above 30, your nickels will come. They tend be in the 50-53 range, silver ranges from 40-90, gold from 40-80. Nickels sometimes bounce between 51-52.

Wayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread