Getting started?

tony8404

May 4, 2009
Well, hello everyone.

I have been looking into treasure hunting for a bit now and the other night i saw the jesse james treasure hunt documentary. I would really like to know how to get into treasure hunting the right way. I do not have much money to start with but maybe researching first is the correct way of doing this.
This morning I decided it is time to get a divorce out of a ten year marriage with 2 kids. I am wasting my time with something that died a long time ago and I cannot be like a lost puppy to my wife like i am now, I am miserable and have now realized i can not restart the fire that went out years ago. This is the perfect thing for me, I feel it is a passion, i can get lost in it without any worries nor feeling like i cannot leave her when i know i have to. I would rather devote my time to something i have a passion for instead of pretending it works when it doesnt.
With that said, how does one start off? What would be some advice from some of you guys that have done this for so long that you wish you had known when you first started off that you did not?
I feel like i should find a couple true treasure stories and start researching on them but not sure if a library will do or town hall of records or where ever they keep really old history to look through any ideas? I know the web is a great place but i feel alot of stuff there is either edited or things are left out and the only way to really know is to research the old documents and history.
Now i know there is alot of stories out there but does anyone know of something that is really true? After reading about jesse james treasures I feel there true but yet i believe alot of it has been relocated or found without people knowing it was found. I could not wrap myself with the thought that Jesse's brother Frank after jesse passed away that he did not go back retrieving alot of the buried loot... Now i did read about him looking for some of it and not being able to find it wether Jesse moved it without him knowing or it was a front.
I have also read on some of the ancient treasure but i feel that is a needle in a hay stack due to so many people looking and nothing really found to this day unless you have some information that no one has come across or it has been found and no one knows it.

Any help would be great thanks guys

K

Kentucky Kache

Your library probably has a section devoted to local history. Find all you can on the history/lore/legends of your county/community. Don't be surprised if you run across a story or two about hidden/buried treasure. Then you have something to research. Maybe it's true...maybe it's false. That's one of the main things you should try to find out with your research.

Talk to the elderly in your county/community. They love to sit and talk to people, and a casual mention of the fact that folks use to hid/bury their money will likely get you a story.

When you start your research, much of what you'll be needing will be found in your library and courthouse. Librarians and county clerks can tell you what you need and where to find it.

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
You will ALWAYS find coins and jewelry with a decent detector.

Do not be fooled by the "Treasure" stories.
There are 310 million people in the US.
Maybe ONE of them finds a treasure once in about every 5 years.
DO the math! :-\
How many stories can you recall reading in the newspaper about
someone finding a real treasure. The last one was a fellow in England
who found 50,000 Roman coins.
Meanwhile TWO stories of treasure hunters getting lost in the desert
looking for that oldest and most foolish quest, the Lost Dutchman mine.

My 2-cents, anyway.

K

Kentucky Kache

UncleVinnys said:
You will ALWAYS find coins and jewelry with a decent detector.

Do not be fooled by the "Treasure" stories.
There are 310 million people in the US.
Maybe ONE of them finds a treasure once in about every 5 years.
DO the math! :-\
How many stories can you recall reading in the newspaper about
someone finding a real treasure. The last one was a fellow in England
who found 50,000 Roman coins.
Meanwhile TWO stories of treasure hunters getting lost in the desert
looking for that oldest and most foolish quest, the Lost Dutchman mine.

My 2-cents, anyway.

Lost Dutchman mine is one thing, but there are real caches out there to be found. That's why we do research, to try and find out if there is any truth to the stories. Sometimes we find reason to believe. Not often, but it does happen.
To a cache hunter, the research is a treasure hunt in itself.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
there are real caches out there to be found. That's why we do research, to try and find out if there is any truth to the stories. Sometimes we find reason to believe. Not often, but it does happen.
To a cache hunter, the research is a treasure hunt in itself.

Absolutely !

a Positive attitude is #1

But Being a Newbie, Don't throw all your eggs
in the Basket.

I Have seen many over the years,
go out & Buy a detector
(Some of them spent big Bucks)
and all they got was a imagesq.jpg

I Have also seen others buy a used detecor
& get lucky.

For big treasures a Detector isn't even Necessary
most are in places a detector won't reach.

Most treasure Stories are Based on fact
but over the years those facts get mixed with
Drama & relatives names
of the many story tellers,
or famous people
to make them more intresting
to the person hearing it next in line.

A Tobacco Tin with $3 Silver dollars,
Not found on a dead Gold Miner
can turn into his Cache of $10,000.00
in Gold Nuggets hidden in the hills
where he was found :tongue3:
or a sack of Gold coins stolen by
Jesse James before shooting him

So yes Research is also Necessary.

TOP 3 in my opinion

#1. Positive attitude

#2. Research

#3. Patience

there are also many types of treasures.
If you do the work & Find it.
It's a treasure !

Welcome & Good Luck !

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Kentucky Kache said!
Doc

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detecting would be a good way to move on.

Yes, there are real caches to be found. You know what you need to do...you said it...research!

Local history would be the start. Most "known" treasure tales are just that....tales. Something like Jeff said....3 siver dollars becomes a $10,000. hoarde.

I came across a story in a local history book here that wasn't a treasure tale. Just an off the wall remark by a reporter that a big fllood washed away a contractors payroll back in the early 1800's. Now there's a treasure quest! Was it paper money...or gold coins...in a box or sack??? Was it even recovered after the flood?
I dont know...no follow up story that I can find. But heck...could be a shot at something...that once in a lifetime find.

There's how you'd become a treasure hunter...research will just drop a lead in your lap.

Welcome to the forum and have at it.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread