Getting Started

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Price range is up to you. Most "general purpose" detectors you will find are in the $200 to $1,400 price range. If you start too low you will likely outgrow the features soon. Start too high and you might be frustrated with how sensitive the unit is to set-up and changes. You can get good, servicable detectors for well under $400 that will do the basics well. As a rule of thumb, the higher the price the more successful you will be in the marginal conditions.

A LOT depends on where you intend on huntng. Beaches, parks, trashy areas, woods, foundations, fields, plowed fields, etc.

Be sure to leave aside enough kitty for a good set of headphones and a good digging tool. A pinpointer will also make you a better hunter by speeding up the dig and recover time.

Come back with your comfort $ level and your list of intended main search areas and we can narrow the field for you.

OP
OP
R

rvman

I would like to stay around $200 for the detector, but will pay up to $400 if the benefits keep me from out growing it soon. I live in central MS. I plan to hunt on old family properties, which contain home sites, farms, forests, and fields. I would also like to hunt on state parks and camp grounds, and hope to get permission on properties around civil war battles, such as Raymond, MS.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RVman...For about $212 you can get an Ace 250...I use one and love it and you won't "outgrow" it for some time....if you ever do. Check out the forums on here with all the detectors. Ask questions and I'm sure you will get some great answers..Good luck and let us know what you get...btw..Welcome to TNet...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread