devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Gettysburg relics Joe. I like the Gardniner bullet too. Funny story I heard occurred in Gettysburg on July 4, 1863. As Gen. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia was making their way back towards the Potomac River in order to cross back into Virginia, the 8TH Georgia regimental band struck up the tune "Maryland my Maryland". Angry Confederates began hurling rocks at the band striking the musicians. The band quickly changed the tune to "Listen to the Mocking Bird". It seemed to anger the army that while Maryland was a strong Southern Sympathizer and sent many troops to the army, she did not seceded from the Union.

OP
OP
Joe G from Md

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lincoln suspended the writ of Habeus Corpus allowing the Federal gov. [Yankees] to arrest all representatives with Southern Sympathies! Probly miss spelled many words, but you get the gist of it!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lincoln suspended the writ of Habeus Corpus allowing the Federal gov. [Yankees] to arrest all representatives with Southern Sympathies! Probly miss spelled many words, but you get the gist of it!

You are correct. Maryland, although not an official succeeded state, was considered a Southern State in that she was much more in support of the Confederacy as she was the Union. Maryland sent many, many Confederate troops to the army. Speaking of Gettysburg, a heartbreaking story (as there were many), occurred in the battle of Culp's Hill where Maryland troops were engaged in intense action in hand to hand combat against one another in both armies both North and South. Truly heartbreaking. This was truly a War engaging Brother against Brother.

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Right or wrong Lincoln really never had much choice. If Maryland had seceded DC would of been surrounded. Part of the reason that Lee decided to invade the north (Antietam) was he figured he would have many sympathizers. But he miscalculated and very few joined him. Maybe he should of went to Baltimore where his biggest supporter were. [emoji41]

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's cool you eyeballed relics a Gettysburg. I've been over lots & never saw a relic in the park. I've dug farms around it & found stuff. HH

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted in Oct. I Have a Question, the question concerning some relics I eyeballed between 1969 and 1974, well here they are That dropped Gardner is my favorite, I think it came from my Maryland Boy's!

I posted to soon a moment ago , Glad you rediscovered those treasures & you have a nice display there , if I were rich , I'd send you the 1936 Gettysburg 75 Ann, commemorative Half Dollar I just paid off , to display with those relics .

I have a couple Gettysburg relics I may display with the coin someday.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's cool Davers. If you get a chance, post a pic. of your commemmorative Gettysburg coin and relics. I'd love to see them. That would really be a great addition to a collection fo sure.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool Davers. If you get a chance, post a pic. of your commemmorative Gettysburg coin and relics. I'd love to see them. That would really be a great addition to a collection fo sure.

That's my New years goal 'to post more pictures' .

FWIW The Coin is Dated 1936 but the actual 75 anniversary was in 1938 If i'm right.

The Minting of the coins was about making $ , hence the 1936 date .
Almost half the original Mintage was remelted .
GD

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing Joe!!! Hope all's been going well for you and you and the family had a Happy Thanksgiving... "D"

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing relics What a great place to hunt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread