GGs New Prospecting toy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG's New Prospecting toy

Wish I had this with me on the trails in the Sierra Nevada mts. instead of my long wheelbase 2wd Chevy Express van............
I will have it with me on next years prospecting trip for sure :icon_thumleft:

zuki1.jpg

zuki4.jpg

zuki3.jpg

1988 Suzuki Samurai 5 speed 4X4, less than 100 miles on the new engine.
My Christmas present to myself.

Go for the Gold,
GG~

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice, I've been wanting one for a long time, hard to find in that good of shape.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it.........
Had a hard top MANY years ago.
It could go ANYWHERE and many places a full size truck can not.

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, I've been wanting one for a long time, hard to find in that good of shape.

Found it on Craigslist and bought it the same day, 1st one I looked at. There are quite a few in this area but prices are all over the board from $500 for ones not running on up to several thousand for some custom rock crawlers. I was lucky to get this one for under $2K :icon_thumleft:

When I was camped out at Gold Basin Az. a couple months ago only the folks that had 4x4's could get to the good gold. A couple of the guy's had Sami's and they went everywhere that I wish I could have gone to but no way was I going to hike miles with all my equipment, so when I got back to Indiana getting a Sami was at the top of my list.

drywash3.jpg
My drywasher set up in Elephant Wash at Gold Basin.

GG~

Last edited:

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I like it man, hope it gets you to lots of great spot. Btw I am loving my jeep as well, its so nice having something with a short wheel base for those tight turns.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GG, will you drive it out west when you go or put it on a trailer?

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG, will you drive it out west when you go or put it on a trailer?

I could flat tow it behind the Van. But a trailer would be the easiest to get it underway in a hurry, that way I could keep the drive shaft in and save wear on the tires. I need the van to haul my equipment and to camp in.

van camping in quartzsite AZ.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
There is a kit to make the rear axle live. It requires an axle kit that utilizes locking hubs in the rear. You put on a tow bar and unlock all the hubs and away you go. Tires are tires on a trailer or on your rig you will be wearing out either regardless.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have a friend in Az with one. They call them Zuks. There is a club for them also.
He put lockers in his rear I think.
I know he has lockers. Not good on highway, but will go any where.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could flat tow it behind the Van. But a trailer would be the easiest to get it underway in a hurry, that way I could keep the drive shaft in and save wear on the tires. I need the van to haul my equipment and to camp in. GG~

Does it have a manual or auto 4x4 transfer case?

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it have a manual or auto 4x4 transfer case?

Manual.... must manually lock in the front hubs for 4x4
Transfer case has a stick shifter to go between 4L 4H N and 2H

According to the forums I would have to flat tow it in neutral in 2wd and stop every 200 miles and run it to keep the gears lubed if I don't take out the drive shaft.
Sounds odd but that's what they all say.

grzbear

Oct 18, 2007
michigan - western up
Detector(s) used
harborfreight stud finder
had one a few years ago--flat tow it --transmission neutral , transfer case 2wd , hub,s unlocked, steering wheel unlocked , cost me 2-3 mpg behind the motor home . been following your post,s with interest ---heading to az. in 5 weeks

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could flat tow it behind the Van. But a trailer would be the easiest to get it underway in a hurry, that way I could keep the drive shaft in and save wear on the tires. I need the van to haul my equipment and to camp in.

View attachment 912954

GG~
Why not put it IN the van to save on tires??? TTC

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any better pics of your tent/EZ-up set-up?
Thanks
Jack

That's not a tent, it's a pop up canopy from harbor freight with a blue tarp down the side. I use it to cook under and to sit in the shade.
The van has a built in bed.

Here is another view at a different campsite. I also have a portable outhouse and a small tent for storage to keep the clutter out of the van while camping.
campsite at gold basin.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread