Ghost Town + Nokta Fors Relic = a BIG Penny!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

took the new Fors Relic out for its 2nd spin today at the old ghost town I've been hunting on/off for the past 5 yrs now.

This is the scenario = imagine you took a pickup truck loaded with square nails level with the bed height and then drove around a field throwing them by the handful in every direction back and forth over and over until the entire field was covered in them no matter where you walk/swing your detector and then plow them under with a tractor/plow and then repeat the above and that's what I pulled these 5 targets out of today!

This place is your worst nightmare when it comes to iron infestation and on top of that = I've had at least 20 different machines in this place several times over to the point that the site has stopped producing finds with all other machines I've used in there this yr so far. Not even the mighty Deus nor CTX has pulled a single decent target out of there this season!

Fast forward to the Nokta Fors Relic with small 5" DD coil and BAM!

I worked my XXX off for 3 hrs straight in a non stop barrage of machine gun iron and all I could pull in those 3 hrs is the 5 targets below (LC, 2 stinkin wheats, a rivit, and a tiny .22 casing).

The marble and the clay pipe stem pieces were eyeball finds while swinging :D

HH

IMG_2825_zpsloxokveo.jpg

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beauty of a Large Cent!!
I like the pipe stem pieces too
Despite the iron, looks like a great place to go back. Congrats on the big copper!

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So is the Nokta Fors Relic your go to machine now? It's always great to get reviews on the various detectors out there.

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is the Nokta Fors Relic your go to machine now? It's always great to get reviews on the various detectors out there.

Not specifically,

I rotate machines as needed per site and always have 2 polar opposites with me at all times while hunting dirt.

I've ran thru somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen+ machines just in the last 3 yrs and have come full circle back to my 3rd Deus and 3rd CTX now. (been dirt fishing since 1977 when I was a 14 yr old kid) and have had at least 75/80 different machines since then.

For the time being and until something comes along that can top those 2 by far = they're staying in the line up as my main units and I'll continue to test/try others as they hit the market and sell off/trade away what I don't like (and the obsession/cycle continues)!

The Fors Relic is a great machine but not for everyone = I can guarantee that. It's a high gain, high frequency, high power machine and is a niche type unit... It's not just an average "do all" type machine like so many on the market these days and that the masses of today like to use. Its DNA is that of a gold nugget type hunter but with features that make it an excellent iron sifting machine geared more specifically towards relic hunting among the iron but with the 3rd tone added = helps the user to pick up on coins too (although that's not it's main strength).

P.S.
someone asked how deep the LC was found = approx. 6 or 7 inches

Last edited:

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for that explanation. Well said!

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Great Finds! Slim pickens in a lot of fields of well worth the time.

I got 4 hours into a field by me...3 different 1.5 hr hunts. Only managed 3 coins so far...1863 Civil War Token...1860-64 Fat Nickel Variety Indian...and a 1911 Wheat Penny. But, I know there is something good out there as the site used to be a hotel on an old plat map. So I hope to find a real good one sooner or later, but I know it takes time.

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to be persistent through that square nail pond! That largie is a beaut! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread