Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this information:
Bellamycay 8y
It's pronounced TAY BAH and it is of the Wolof dialect of Africa.
The exact meaning is unknown, though there are a few possibilities.
Teye is a common name in Senegal, but the term "teye ba" occurs twice in the Wolof translation of the Holy Bible and in both cases the Apostle Paul is saying "I am coming to you".
The original ring, which was found among the treasures of the Whydah Galley (the only authenticated pirate shipwreck in the world), is clearly of European origin, and it is apparent that whatever original ensign or image was on the ring had been rubbed off and the words TEYE BA etched in its place. Approximately 1/3 of the pirate crew was of African origin, and therefore this may have been a ring worn by an Africa pirate. If TEYE BA means the same as that found in the Wolof Bible, it could be a sentimental promise that the pirate would return to his homeland or family; but it could also be a threat to his enemies, as in "I'm coming to get you/get revenge!" Then again, Teye is also the name of an early Afro-Egyptian queen who was deified as a goddess, and many later queens took the name. The worship of this goddess is still known to flourish in parts of Africa, and this inscription may be a reference of devotion to her.

Wellll yes and no... is saw that post... they sorta did not get the facts all straight...

Like... the bible part...

Also...

Roman letters TEYE BA means 'you were low too' in Haitian Creole.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the translation is open to interpretation as there are a few floating around there.

This is an account from Barry Clifford, page 97 of his book:
Real Pirates: The Untold Story of the Whydah from Slave Ship to Pirate ShipBy Barry Clifford, Kenneth J. Kinkor, Sharon Simpson

Real Pirates: The Untold Story of the Whydah from Slave Ship to Pirate Ship
By Barry Clifford, Kenneth J. Kinkor, Sharon Simpson

2020-01-18 20_27_58-Window.png

2020-01-18 20_26_34-Window.png

Barry Clifford also offered this possible explanation:
It turns out that “Teye” and “Ba” were common Senegalese names during the 18th century when the Whydah was a slave ship. Clifford and his team believe the ring belonged to either an African slave trader or a slave who became a pirate.

Then there is this version which also contained the version ARC quoted.
I did not include that as ARC already posted, but it is available to view on:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/438186238720550268/

The Teye ring. This gold ring reveals much, yet keeps many secrets. The last name Teye seems to hail from the north of England, and other inscribed letters show it once belonged to a ranking British seaman connected with a Royal Navy base. How it got aboard the Whydah is unclear, but know this, hearties: No officer in the King's Navy would have handed it over except at the point of a saber. Unless, of course, he turned pirate himself.

I also saw the version Sis posted as well.

According to a Haitian Creole translatorTeye Ba is: thou wast also give
"Almost" has a religious connotation sound to it ?
Not sure what "Wast" translates to, but this is yet another interpretation.

So what are the facts ?

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
You got you're hair fixed different. My carera's fogging up.:laughing7:
========
Kinda looks like a Blonde Brillo pad :laughing7:

I saw Justin Timberlake tried the same look and got the "Same" results :laughing7:

another brillo pad.jpg

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Bart has so many boats that when one gets dirty he leaves it and gets out another one. :notworthy:
Kind of like us and our cave :laughing7:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I see Braveheart is on again right now and it shows it will be on again in 2 1/2 hours.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll be back in about an hour. The maid must have the day off and I have to take out the trash. It is -2 with a windchill of -20. It will take me longer to get ready to go outside than it does to empty the trash. :BangHead:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the translation is open to interpretation as there are a few floating around there.

This is an account from Barry Clifford, page 97 of his book:
Real Pirates: The Untold Story of the Whydah from Slave Ship to Pirate ShipBy Barry Clifford, Kenneth J. Kinkor, Sharon Simpson

Real Pirates: The Untold Story of the Whydah from Slave Ship to Pirate Ship
By Barry Clifford, Kenneth J. Kinkor, Sharon Simpson

View attachment 1791698

View attachment 1791697
Barry Clifford also offered this possible explanation:
[FONT=&] It turns out that “Teye” and “Ba” were common Senegalese names during the 18th century when the Whydah was a slave ship. Clifford and his team believe the ring belonged to either an African slave trader or a slave who became a pirate.[/FONT]

Then there is this version which also contained the version ARC quoted.
I did not include that as ARC already posted, but it is available to view on:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/438186238720550268/

The Teye ring. This gold ring reveals much, yet keeps many secrets. The last name Teye seems to hail from the north of England, and other inscribed letters show it once belonged to a ranking British seaman connected with a Royal Navy base. How it got aboard the Whydah is unclear, but know this, hearties: No officer in the King's Navy would have handed it over except at the point of a saber. Unless, of course, he turned pirate himself.

I also saw the version Sis posted as well.

According to a Haitian Creole translatorTeye Ba is: thou wast also give
"Almost" has a religious connotation sound to it ?
Not sure what "Wast" translates to, but this is yet another interpretation.

So what are the facts ?

Facts on the Bible part... silly... NOT the ring.

heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread