Gigantic, 329 year old Oak Tree (162 ft across)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Attachments

• oak.jpg
    oak.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,365
  • oak1.jpg
    oak1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,366
Upvote 0

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
You should go to the wholesale produce market on Fri evening and have supper. What a buffet they put on. I've seen that tree, it's huge!

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
that is a big'un of a tree . i'll have to go into Granby ,Ct. they got an oak there thats over 400 years old . i've seen it once but the next time i go by i'll take some pictures for you guys it is massive .

Dan

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Thats a great old tree, not many like that in the entire WORLD! most were used for ships and timber and destroyed by storms. The US has lost more great trees to storms than anything else.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we chop those for fire wood :wink: :D

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, all the things that tree has been around for. Thanks for sharing the pic. :icon_thumright:

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You outta see some of the trees in Natchez, Mississippi where I live. They are huge. Next time I am out detecting I will take some pictures for you. I'm telling you I know these are at least 300 years old. If not older. An Old antebellum home here has some award winning Oaks..They are old old...

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one beautiful old tree.
We have a few of those in S. Korea.....the ones that the Japanese didn't chop down, cut up, and float to Japan, during their
occupation of this country. One of my favorite places to hunt, and almost always find an old coin or two. We measure them
by how many men it would take to put their arms around the trunk.....hence, 3-man trees, 4-man trees, etc.
Thanks for the pics......will try to send some from this neck of the woods. :thumbsup:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to get a good view of the oak...I've always like the limbs touching the ground...I'll check my old pics and see if that sign was changed over the years. Once upon a time you could climb the tree, now they have cables bolted in to hold the limbs on.

:wink: RR

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not as big as that one, but this is the biggest on my property. My wife is at the bottom of the tree for scale, she's 5'3. 6 giant ones in total, this is the biggest.

Attachments

• oak3 small.JPG
    oak3 small.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 739

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Great post, thanks. One of my favorite things about MDing is just getting out and really covering a lot of ground, in the fields and forests and all over, seeing the trees and water and lay of the land. Seeing nature from so many angles gives a true appreciation for its majesty.

Just the other day I stopped at a particularly impressive tree and was muttering to myself how amazing it was when a hiker walked by and noticed me muttering aloud... he must have thought I was a bit crazy. haha But yes, we have a lot of impressive trees out here in British Columbia. The place is a rain forest, after all.

And I'm sure we're all thinking the same thing when we come across trees like this that have giant root systems: "I wonder what kind of coinage is locked under this massive tree?" :tongue3:

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Bwah ha ha ha!
Super freakin Gorgeous!
That's just awesome. AWESOME.
Dern, I love me some trees and that is a .........no words..
THANK YOU! :icon_thumright: :thumbsup: :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread