OP
OP
G

geotaughtme

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kimberlites

I'll take some pics of the smaller ones after I clean them and the actual plant patch hopefully tomorrow. I posted pics of the mine that was close to the site because of the veins in them that were harder than anything Ive ever broke. Still at it, going slow as Geo always says, safety first!

OP
OP
G

geotaughtme

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theres been plenty of Diamonds found in western NC, poor quality though. I really would like to find a small platinum nugget to say I've found it all and get back to my main business, this little side expedition is going on over a year now.

OP
OP
G

geotaughtme

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some pics close by cleaning small samples now

Pics to come later

Attachments

• treasurenet2 181.jpg
    treasurenet2 181.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 114
OP
OP
G

geotaughtme

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wrong pic, anyway this is the mine shaft i found

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
wrong pic, anyway this is the mine shaft i found

That reminded me of a true story about a gentleman and his' wife that bought a piece of property, I believe in Clay County North Carolina to prospect for Gold. They lived in a Motor Home while their' new home was being built and the gentleman dug a mine shaft looking for Gold. The gentleman continued digging the mine shaft even after their' new home was built. They had lived on the property for close to two years and they decided to sell the Motor Home. When a prospective Buyer for the Motor Home showed up, he asked the gentleman where he got all of his' driveway gravel, to which the gentleman stated that they had come out of the mine shaft he was digging while looking for Gold. The prospective Buyer had noticed the gravel and inspected some on the way to the gentleman's house. The prospective Buyer then curtly asked the gentleman if he knew that most of the gravel in his' driveway were actually blue Sapphires!

Frank

Teknowaffle

May 9, 2011
The O.P.'s rock does not look like any Kimberlite specimens that I have ever seen and actually has the appearance of an extremely large Iron Garnet

Frank

I agree with the massive garnet, and I bet there is a lot of biotite in there. Basically the garnet formed, then the metamorphic processes got reversed (by water intrusion for example), causing the crystal structure to partially revert to biotite (a kind of mica) which is what I suspect the black color in the piece is.

I have a similar smaller specimen from nearby where I live. The distinct crystal habit of the piece screams garnet. If OP counts the faces, I bet there are 12.

Last edited:

jodan3399

Jan 1, 2013
Brownsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Classic III, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well it's definitely cool, diamonds or no diamonds...and I've learned something new.:icon_thumright:

Never heard of it before now.

Searched google, and although they say it's possible to find near this area, it's normally the reddish variety from what I see and normally doesn't contain any diamonds.

OP
OP
G

geotaughtme

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still no xray but alot buttload of Garnets, lots of visible Gold, One Ruby and one Diamond that i have found so far. Thanks joe

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So whats the value of this thing as it sits and did you get it cleaned up any more?

OP
OP
G

geotaughtme

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told not to clean it, alot of gold fell off when I did but thats how I saw the diamond (more like melee) so I was able to test it. I have no clue what it would be worth. Some say to auction as is " Christmas Present" appeal, others say scan it. i have no idea, I've been too busy anyway with cave and deposits i've located. What do you think? Thanks Joe

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty cool find though..i wish there were rocks and something i could dig around here in winter metal detecting is shot so all I can do is read these forums and dream a little...

OP
OP
G

geotaughtme

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally just busted her open, the high specific gravity is mostly due to ALOT of small gold and a few little veins I've not crushed it yet. After a few picks I'll pulverize it and let you know. I can't pan, but I invented a machine"patent pending" that will seperate anything with a SG over 15.8 cm3

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally just busted her open, the high specific gravity is mostly due to ALOT of small gold and a few little veins I've not crushed it yet. After a few picks I'll pulverize it and let you know. I can't pan, but I invented a machine"patent pending" that will seperate anything with a SG over 15.8 cm3

Am I reading this right? Looks like you're using a size measurement as a means of measuring SG. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread