Gila Gold Silver Cinnabar

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
PARTMENT OF NEW MEXICO,
Santa Fe, N. Mex., May 10, 1863.

Major General H. W. HALLECK,

General-in-Chief U. S. Army, Washington, D. C.:

GENERAL: I am aware every moment of your time is of value to the country, and I would not presume to ask you even to read this note did I not believe that what is herewith inclosed would be of interest to you as a general and therefore as statesman.

Among all my endeavors since my arrival here there has been an effort to brush back the Indians, as you have seen from official correspondence, so that the people could get out of the valley of the Rio Grande, and not only possess themselves of the arable lands in other parts of the Territory, but, if the country contained veins and deposits of the precious metals, that they might be found. So I re-established Fort Stanton, and at least a hundred families have done to that vicinity to open farms, and they are commencing to find gold there.

I established Fort West, and have driven the Indians away from the head of the Gila, and they are finding gold, silver, and cinnabar there. There is no doubt in my mind that one of the richest gold countries in the world is along the affluent to the Gila, which enter it from the north along its whole course. Thus you can see one reason why the rebels want, and why we may not permit them ever to have, a country evidently teeming with millions on millions of wealth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions