Gila Mountains Gold

froggy

Jan 18, 2008
Canyon Del Oro, Arizona
Yuma County. According to an ancient map (boy do wish I could see it myself) a cache of gold is supposedly buried somewhere in Spook Canyon in the Gila Mountains, about 5 miles southeast of the once-rich Fortuna Gold Mine.

Another tale tells of a Mexican couple around 1933 traveling illegally towards Wellton from Mexico and crossing the Gila Mountains along one of the old Indian trails, about 1/2 day's hike from Tinajas Atlas. As they came through a small pass and started down the east side of the Gilas, they saw what looked like a piece of burlap flapping in the wind from behind a sand dune. When they ilooked nearer, they found a cave nearly hidden by the dune, and inside were a dozen wooden crates full of Winchester .30-.30 carbines dated 1903. The rifles have not been recovered.

massey631

Apr 25, 2022
Yuma County. According to an ancient map (boy do wish I could see it myself) a cache of gold is supposedly buried somewhere in Spook Canyon in the Gila Mountains, about 5 miles southeast of the once-rich Fortuna Gold Mine.

Another tale tells of a Mexican couple around 1933 traveling illegally towards Wellton from Mexico and crossing the Gila Mountains along one of the old Indian trails, about 1/2 day's hike from Tinajas Atlas. As they came through a small pass and started down the east side of the Gilas, they saw what looked like a piece of burlap flapping in the wind from behind a sand dune. When they ilooked nearer, they found a cave nearly hidden by the dune, and inside were a dozen wooden crates full of Winchester .30-.30 carbines dated 1903. The rifles have not been recovered.
In another persons note I read that the area they were in while they found that hoard was very odd and it would take a little to get to where they found it. I can imagine they went into uneven grounds to find it and it's in a place where it's ackward to get into.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread