Gingsang

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey tenbears ! I spend a lot of time in grassy areas pulling scallions or wild onions. They're great to eat out of the ground or in dishes. Anyway, how did you get your name? :D :D

OP
OP
tenbears

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II,ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beavis said:
Hey tenbears ! I spend a lot of time in grassy areas pulling scallions or wild onions. They're great to eat out of the ground or in dishes. Anyway, how did you get your name? :D :D

I got that name from watching to many clint eastwood movies( outlaw josey wales) ;D,and by the way i pick a few leeks myself,but never found any gingersanger!! :D :D ;)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
this may be a dumb question but how would you use wild ginseng? in recipies?

OP
OP
tenbears

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GYPSY,AT THREE TO FOUR HUNDRED A POUND SEND SOME TO ME PLEASE!! :o ::)

OP
OP
tenbears

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
this may be a dumb question but how would you use wild ginseng? in recipies?

tea for one ,recipes you got it,and many other medicinal purposes. ;D

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
WHOA!!! For that money i'm forgeting the scallions. I'm reading up on ginseng. :o :o

OP
OP
tenbears

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beavis said:
WHOA!!! For that money i'm forgeting the scallions. I'm reading up on ginseng. :o :o

Thanks for correcting ( ginseng ) my spelling :-[ ;),the price has always been up there but in many states i'ts either very rare to find or against the law to pick! ??? Here's one for ya,when i was a kid myself and a buddy of mine went searching,we took two garbage bags with us thought we found the mother load :P turns out we picked two bags full of yellow root,no joke! :(

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Ginseng is said to be highly good for the metabolism, and promotes general well being. It has a reputation as an aphrodisiac, but this seems to be totally based on the fact that it relaxes the overly tense person a bit. If you suffer from back pain or TMJ adding this to a tea of Catnip and slippery elm may help. It is also presumably useable as an ingredient in a meade or magewine.
The fruit is a cluster of bright red berries. Flowers bloom in June and July. Gather the roots in Fall after the berries or seeds have fallen away. Dry for later herb use. The wild supply is quickly being diminished due to over harvesting for export to china and other countries, in some areas it is illegal to harvest during certain months of the year.

Attachments

• ginseg1641web.jpg
    ginseg1641web.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 373

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I planted ginseng behing my house in 1972. I figured trhat in 20 years I would have enough to harvest, but the darn stuff never grew. So instead I planted leeks in the same area. Ther's nothing better then leeks in a salad.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a shanger for years ! I haven't been for some time and the last time i checked one of my best areas was completely wiped out by a logging operation. If anyone does decide to pick any they should check the laws and obey them ! Only harvest in the fall,plant any seeds that may still be on the plant and only take larger roots let the little guys grow.I have attempted to grow some without much luck.Ginseng needs just the right growing conditions to thrive.

wabash river rat

Feb 16, 2007
i live in illinois and it is legal to hunt ginseng, but you have to have a permit to sell it. last year it ran around $500.00 a lb. the guy closest to me also buys yellow root, blood root, st. john's wort, and two or three other wild roots and herbs. had a friend of mine that grew it in their front yard. a ginseng plantation you might say. grew it and could protect it, but also only got about half the price for cultivated root. still not bad for just having patience andgoin' to the front yard to dig. i'd ask him more about it,but he and his dad passed a few years ago.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lumbercamp said:
I planted ginseng behing my house in 1972. I figured trhat in 20 years I would have enough to harvest, but the darn stuff never grew. So instead I planted leeks in the same area. Ther's nothing better then leeks in a salad.

Good thing the ginseng didn't grow. At that price, someone might steal it. But now, aren't you afraid someone will come to your garden and take leek?

:) Sorry...

DCMatt

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Here in Virginia,you have to have a permit to dig ginseng. Imagine that ::)

OP
OP
tenbears

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've herd if ya find a root that looks like a man,two arms ,two legs and a ::) well you know it's worth as much as a pound of roots! ??? ;D

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beale said:
I have hunted in the mountains of West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina for wild ginseng for the past 43 years, I have never heard of needing a permit to hunt and dig wild ginseng. In the state parks or National Parks, yes but not just general hunting for the herb. You do have to wait until the berries get ripe sometime around August 15 before you can dig without it breaking the endangered specie laws, but I am not sure they are enforcing that now since ginseng has been taken off of the endangered specie list. Up in Wisconsin, Minnosota and Illinois also some in Iowa and other states ginseng is heavily cultivated the US Government even has it's own crops, when theirs hits the market in mid-September the price of ginseng drops drastically.

I once found one root of ginseng that weighed 8 ounces green, it had eight tops-------six four prongs and two five prongs. I was with another hunter when he found a 12 ounce green that had six four prongs on one root.

As for the post above about logging keeps him from ginsenging that is where I search most of the time, the rougher the area the more ginseng you will find.

gypsyheart how about giving me permission to dig your tons of ginseng I will split 50/50 on the sale?
The logging area i mentioned is completly devoid of trees and is now covered in briar bushes.Always thought shang needed shade to grow well. ???

OP
OP
tenbears

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also herd it needs shade,when i was a kid i was told it grew on the northside of hills ???

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Here it grows wild and is also cultivated in large fields. The fields have shade tarps that sit on top of wooden poles in order to give it the appropriate amount of shade needed to grow.

Attachments

• GINSENG.jpg
    GINSENG.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 276

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions