Ginseng and Mushrooms, My Favorites

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Went for a walk about daylight this morning. Two of my favorites were out in force, ginseng and mushrooms.

ginseng3.jpg

ginseng2.jpg

ginseng1.jpg

ginseng5.jpg

shrooms3.jpg

shroom6.jpg

shroom5.jpg

shroom4.jpg

fried.jpg

Almostneverlost

Mar 10, 2011
Nice pic's :thumbsup: and the shrooms well...... I'm just jealous, none of my spots are producing yet :icon_scratch: I may go out in a bit and try to find a early spot.

maceman66

Mar 29, 2009
SE Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a very productive morning!!!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Do you harvest the ginseng seed? Oregon was the largest ginseng producer for Korea-Japan-China during the '30's, and we have lots of appropriate area to grow them under full-canopy trees here. But having trouble getting seed sources for them. If interested, let me know how much you'd charge for seed.

Nice Morchella esculenta! This is one species strongly suspected of being mycorrhizal locally.

OP
OP
Prime_Focus

Prime_Focus

Aug 27, 2008
Central Iowa
Tuberale, it's illegal to harvest the seed of wild ginseng in Iowa. We have to plant any seeds that are on the plant in the immediate vicinity of where the plant was growing. I know that you can buy tame ginseng seeds and also what's called "woods grown" seeds. Not sure about truly wild ginseng. I've never checked into it. Sorry.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prime_Focus said:
Tuberale, it's illegal to harvest the seed of wild ginseng in Iowa. We have to plant any seeds that are on the plant in the immediate vicinity of where the plant was growing. I know that you can buy tame ginseng seeds and also what's called "woods grown" seeds. Not sure about truly wild ginseng. I've never checked into it. Sorry.

You ... got... to ... be.... KIDDING ME! >:(

There is a LAW in IOWA about WILD GINSING SEED???

Politics have run amuck again... ::)

Sprig

Mar 10, 2011
Diddo what Lee said Uncle Tom!!

Doesn't get much better than that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread