Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
YEAH! A BIG "thing" for Mountain People near Shenandoah National Park in Virginia; sell 'em to China for MEGA $$$$$$$$$!

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Many who hunt ginseng illegal also grow pot.

You got to know how to hunt it, because it takes 150-200 plants to make a dry pound of roots.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also found it interesting that there is a season on it. The "legal" ginseng harvesting season was about 2 months long. WOW!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I caught some of that show while flipping through the Commercials during the Seahawks Game ____ All I could think was WHAT WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT for a TV show , Moonshiners, gold diggers, pawn shops on and on Any guess what is next

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also found it interesting that there is a season on it. The "legal" ginseng harvesting season was about 2 months long. WOW! RJGMC HI BOB!
It was almost identical to the illegal drug trade. Profit is the driving force behind both practices. " Wild 'sang, as old-timers call the plant, flourishes best beneath a stand of mature hardwoods on a gentle northeast-facing slope that has thick, moist leaf litter and little undergrowth. Such a place is naturally ideal for cultivating ginseng, but the botanical should thrive in almost any well-tended, well drained but moist-location that doesn't receive too much direct afternoon sunlight. (Some growers even construct their own lattices—6 to 7 feet above the plants—to provide the necessary 75 to 80% shading.)" http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/growing-ginseng-zmaz83jaznet.aspx

Last edited:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you know someone with hundreds of acres you will be out trespassing or picking on federal land ..neither a good choice to make and early season they have a red berry once it falls it makes it much harder to spot them....the season doesnt open till after they have fallen off ....alot of dnr have started paying more attention to this hobby be safe

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many who hunt ginseng illegal also grow pot.

Is this from personal experience? lol ...i could see how it would help them in finding the plant shapes in the woods

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Is this from personal experience? lol ...i could see how it would help them in finding the plant shapes in the woods

No.. But.. I've lived in the Southern Appalachian Mountains all my life(65yrs). I know where many plots of ginseng grow in three states on three National Forests... this can also be said for whiskey stills, pot patches, gemstones, gold, and even wild moss(yes, it's collected too).

OP
OP
Fletch88

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No.. But.. I've lived in the Southern Appalachian Mountains all my life(65yrs). I know where many plots of ginseng grow in three states on three National Forests... this can also be said for whiskey stills, pot patches, gemstones, gold, and even wild moss(yes, it's collected too).
Same down here pretty much, minus the ginseng! It seems to go hand in hand with shine around here, not that I would know! Lol

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
The "Peking Man"... complete with the right "equipment"!:laughing7:

ginseng-root.jpg

Roots that look like a human body bring a good price!

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We caught that show last night. The most contrived thing I've ever seen.

How does that saying go?: 1 part truth + 99 parts embellishment=

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
If the show was to be real, it would have been about marijuana.
I guess it would be hard not to disclose the stars when they're sitting in the middle of a pot patch...
but they did show a little in the show? It's easy on Moonshiners to use water.. and to throw paint thinner into their still fire.. kind'a hard with a quarter acre of pot! :laughing7:

You got to be careful when walking the mountains. I keep watch for pot, and if found, you act like you don't see it and walk the other way! This goes for a still sight also... I did this to a still that was running one year, I turned to walk away and the moonshiner called my name! HAVE SOME FRIEND! :laughing7:

Many don't realize just how much is grown on National Forest and state land.
Tennessee is second only to California in pot production.. being a smaller state, TN grows more for the land area.
It is the #1 cash crop in the state!

Ginseng is selling between $350 to $500 a pound, depending on the maturity of the plants and market.
Marijuana is selling for $358.68 an ounce for high quality(average TN price today)... And you don't have to hunt it! :laughing7:

And it's out there... somewhere!

3-20-10a.jpg

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
If the show was to be real, it would have been about marijuana.
I guess it would be hard not to disclose the stars when they're sitting in the middle of a pot patch...
but they did show a little in the show? It's easy on Moonshiners to use water.. and to throw paint thinner into their still fire.. kind'a hard with a quarter acre of pot! :laughing7:

You got to be careful when walking the mountains. I keep watch for pot, and if found, you act like you don't see it and walk the other way! This goes for a still sight also... I did this to a still that was running one year, I turned to walk away and the moonshiner called my name! HAVE SOME FRIEND! :laughing7:

Many don't realize just how much is grown on National Forest and state land.
Tennessee is second only to California in pot production.. being a smaller state, TN grows more for the land area.
It is the #1 cash crop in the state!

Ginseng is selling between $350 to $500 a pound, depending on the maturity of the plants and market.
Marijuana is selling for $358.68 an ounce for high quality(average TN price today)... And you don't have to hunt it! :laughing7:

And it's out there... somewhere!

View attachment 929781
Yes sir,somewhere out there!

Attachments

• 158.JPG
    158.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 108

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I caught part of the show. I agree with calisdad, it was too contrived to continue watching.

And, NOW I have to walk my property regularly to keep the thieves off it. If they'll poach on government land what will keep them off OUR propertly?

At least my hills are loaded with rattlers, copperheads and deer ticks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread