Girls Find Jar With Coins From The 1800s ? ???

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Girls Find Jar With Coins From The 1800's ? ???

Should say "A Coin from 1800's" :tongue3:

Two Sioux City girls have stumbled across history in a jar, literally. And "finders keepers" now takes on a whole new meaning for them.

It was a typical walk in the woods in the Morningside area for Mikell Zishka and Emily Palmersheim. That's before they found these rusty old coins inside a jar just lying on the ground. And they immediately knew they were anything but ordinary.

"I was excited because nobody really finds money in a jar lying around," said Palmersheim.

And Zishka says,"We sort of looked at them. They looked very old and rusty because like the mercury dimes you never see any of those dimes anymore or the 50 cent pieces."

It turns out the oldest coin is from 1894 and the newest one just from 1945. In addition to finding something cool and valuable, having the coins has taught the girls a history lesson.

"Rusty" ? :tongue3:

video

http://www.kcautv.com/story/15653108/girls-find-coins-from-the-1800s-in-sioux-city

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Re: Girls Find Jar With Coins From The 1800's ? ???

Ughhh, "they plan to polish the coins"..... "rusty"..... and just watching them pick them up and drop them on top of each other made me cringe.....

Sure, most likely they are all common coins, but you never know. I once found a dime mixed in with a bunch of foreign coins at a swap meet that I paid 5 bucks for the whole lot, and immediately went around the corner to the coin dealers stand and sold it for 300 bucks..... you just never know.

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other

Wait, they get to keep them? Some fascist archaeologists aren't running to steal the coins from them?

mpalmers

Oct 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:
Should say "A Coin from 1800's" :tongue3:

Two Sioux City girls have stumbled across history in a jar, literally. And "finders keepers" now takes on a whole new meaning for them.

It was a typical walk in the woods in the Morningside area for Mikell Zishka and Emily Palmersheim. That's before they found these rusty old coins inside a jar just lying on the ground. And they immediately knew they were anything but ordinary.

"I was excited because nobody really finds money in a jar lying around," said Palmersheim.

And Zishka says,"We sort of looked at them. They looked very old and rusty because like the mercury dimes you never see any of those dimes anymore or the 50 cent pieces."

It turns out the oldest coin is from 1894 and the newest one just from 1945. In addition to finding something cool and valuable, having the coins has taught the girls a history lesson.

"Rusty" ? :tongue3:

video

http://www.kcautv.com/story/15653108/girls-find-coins-from-the-1800s-in-sioux-city

Steel pennies do rust.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread