FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously another noob to detecting..

I'm aware of varying pre-1965 American coinage being comprised of 90% silver.. I forget which exact coins, so exacts here in your reply would be appreciated.

I've recently learned that pre-1982 pennies are 95% copper and obviously worth more.. This true?

..what are some other, often overlooked things by beginners when it comes to coin worth? I never thought of separating pennies by age until tonight when I read about the pre-82s being worth more..

Anna1954

Sep 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A penny produced before 1982 is worth 2.2 cents or more based on the metal it contains. There is a small market for pre 1982 pennies. On eBay, a lot of 5000 pennies has a face value of $50, but it will sell for $60.

I'd say it's not worth it unless you can find plenty of these pennies and if you've got people interested in these pennies.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best things is to get some books on US coins. It is illegal to melt cents for the copper, I would look for error coins instead. Copper cents rarely sell and then there are the fees to do it!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d like to give you credit for correctly mentioning “pre-1965” silver.

Nine out of ten say pre-1964.
I don’t know why but it’s like nails on chalkboard when I see it.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Since you are already on the internet, the internet is chuck full of info. Just use any search engine and find the answer!

In mid year 1942 the nickel went to the war effort and nickels were made of an alloy that included 35% silver. Mid year 1942 through 1945. All silver war nickels have a larger mint mark above the dome on the reverse. Also, all 1965 thorugh 1970 half dollars are 40% silver.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! I would purchase a "Red Book" or similer coin book and study the subject, very interesting. :occasion14:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1964 and earlier dimes, quarters, half dollars are 90 % silver. 1942-45 Nickels (war nickels) are 35 % silver. 1965-1970 Kennedy Halves are 40 % silver. Then of course Peace dollars, Morgan dollars and anything earlier are 90 % silver. Like others have said, buy some good coin books or consult the internet. There is a wealth of knowledge out there in the world of coins.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd recommend going to a Barnes & Noble or similar and getting a Coin Prices or Coins magazine. They tend to be more "up to date" on the values and MUCH cheaper for a single issue than the Red Book.

Better to spend the $ on a grading book. That makes all the difference in $.

Or, just check on line:

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/lincoln-cent-wheat-reverse/46/most-active

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/lincoln-cent-modern/47/most-active

And whether you have cents worth more than 1¢ to a collector (or even melt value) is going to be a tough sell unless it is a key date or uncirculated condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread