Give quarters a try and what is your quarter luck?

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
yo everyone. Just curious on how you all have been with quarters? I was hitting them pretty well earlier in the year, found several. Now, every single box has been 100% skunk.

Some of the ones I found earlier this year are in this thread.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...od-finds-while-i-gone-posted-later-today.html

My advice, they vary between region, and they are WORTH a try, before you jump to conclusions.

Upvote 0

Shay's here

May 1, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
Other
I have searched a couple of boxes with no luck at all but if there is a batch of CWR at my regular banks I am not against searching them.

I had great quarter luck years ago when I was a bookkeeper for a boat marina with laundry machines and I had to wrap quarters every couple of weeks. I had one of those plastic measuring thingies and when I would dump quarters in there sometimes would hear the distinctive plink of silver and grab it out. I got about $30.00 in silver quarters from that.

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have searched about $200 in quarters and haven't found anything. I would search more , but I have don't have much funds.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have good luck from looking at the change dispensers alongside cash registers( providing you ask the cashier nicely). In the past year, 3 quarters, and many many dimes( well over 2 dozen).

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the past 6 years I have found 64 silver quarters (all Washington's) and average 1 every ~$1585 searched which from a silver standpoint is a little better than finding a 40% Kennedy every 3 boxes which isn't too far off my find rate in half dollars boxes recently.

With quarters, I have had long skunk streaks ($9,000 with nada) and I've had a couple of bags with 10+ in them.

They are easy to get. For me it's typically been a cash flow decision. If I have enough to afford them, I usually get them.

The one thing about quarters that I've found is that the count is rarely off for me in either buying or cashing in with the exception of the occasional foreign coin, but I don't mind that so much.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done a total of five boxes of quarters, all skunks.

I've found 24 silver Washingtons from various reject trays since I've started hunting. Only one silver Washington from a teller's tray.

I've found one Standing Liberty quarter from a reject tray.

26 total silver quarters found so far.

I'll stick with reject tray quarters.

The reject trays of my various dump banks are, ahem, goldmines. In 2012, out of the 34.5 ozt that I found for the year 8 ozt came from reject tray finds. So far this year, I'm up to 5.5 ozt from reject tray finds.

Last edited:

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I have good luck from looking at the change dispensers alongside cash registers( providing you ask the cashier nicely). In the past year, 3 quarters, and many many dimes( well over 2 dozen).

Do you just ask to buy the whole sack you see?

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get silver quarters from coin op laundry machines. Slow but steady. They are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I get most of my quarters via coinstars. In the last 2 years, one guy had 11.70 FV of quarters and dimes and just this year a gentleman brought in 23 dollars FV worth of quarters. Other than that most of my quarter capers have been canadian quarters.

Sincerely, GarouLady

Nydus Touch

Jan 9, 2013
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I am up to about 8 boxes searched in my career: still to no avail. I am up to 2 total silver quarters from teller trays. Not too much to report here.

uncubano13

Jun 25, 2013
Wyoming, MI
Detector(s) used
Bought 2 of them from garage sales
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just tried going thru $130 in Quarters and no luck!

Patrick Star

Nov 9, 2013
Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Recently searched 2 wks ago $250 in cwr quarters and second to last roll boom a 1954 D, but the weird thing is that all rolls were taped.

ChangeTheGame

Greenie
Feb 14, 2008
Never had any luck with quarter rolls, but scored about $40.00 FV last week at a convenience store after I received one back for change. I asked the guy at the counter if he had any other old coins, and he told me that an older woman had been in a few minutes earlier to get gas, paid with four rolls of silver. Lucky day for me!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Never had any luck with quarter rolls, but scored about $40.00 FV last week at a convenience store after I received one back for change. I asked the guy at the counter if he had any other old coins, and he told me that an older woman had been in a few minutes earlier to get gas, paid with four rolls of silver. Lucky day for me!
WOW! All I can say is, that better had not been my 'ol lady. I'm checking the stack when I get home ???

Will45

Sep 1, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Any rare dates?

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10 boxes last year all skunks. 5 boxes already this year and all are skunks. I am going to do 5 more.

All the laundry owners in my area know the distinctive plink sound. One guy whom I came across in the bank lobby dumping his many bags of quarters told me that he had a whole bag ($500) of silver quarters.

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did my first quarter box last night. Got a 1939! I was surprised because I've been primed to believe that only halves and dimes had any action.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I would of read this thread earlier. I just did 4k worth of quarters and skunked. I did get one last year but, so far the success rate has a lot to be desired. I think I am going to stick with halves, dimes, nickels and pennies.

Cheers - Koffee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions