Give that man a cigar!

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newbie here. Been hunting since the first of the year. Weekly visits, small purchases. I'm for some reason not bold enough to ask for $500 worth of half pieces; heck, I get the weird eye sometimes when I ask for $40 or $60. Anywho, today I did just that -- ask for $60, at a CU I've yet to visit, and for the first time receiving hand rolled coinage instead of machine. That gave me hope, for I have yet to score a single piece of silver -- until today. 1967. My first silver. Proudly I held it with a laugh. I think I need to go back to that CU for more! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Congrats on your find. Go back and get the rest. As others will tell you....Always buy them all!!

HH

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the addiction!

Six years ago my first silver half was also 67! There was a bank next to my gym so one day after work on my way to the gym I talked to myself "why not go in and ask for halves". The teller had a couple but told me that there was $250 in the vault and I had to come back next day because the vault was closed already. So the next day I showed up and got the $250. After workout and got to home, I started to check the rolls and every roll had the word "Clad" marked on it. Disappointed but I checked each coin face by face and the guy missed one, 67! I was hooked!

Three weeks later, I found a batch of $160 which yielded 30 90% and 21 40%ers.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not bold enough? Here is some advice that will cost you 1 40% half dollar - don't care so much. They are there to do a job, you are their customer. Who cares if they think you are crazy or "give you the weird eye." This hobby will be a whole lot more fun for you if you disregard what tellers think about you.

Uncle Ben

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not bold enough? Here is some advice that will cost you 1 40% half dollar - don't care so much. They are there to do a job, you are their customer. Who cares if they think you are crazy or "give you the weird eye." This hobby will be a whole lot more fun for you if you disregard what tellers think about you.
Yup! Listen to Joe! You gotta get thicker skin, be nice and polite...... But that's for your own benefit..looked in the eye, smile, and dump.

Uncle Ben

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup! Listen to Joe! You gotta get thicker skin, be nice and polite...... But that's for your own benefit..looked in the eye, smile, and dump.

Or....look them in the eye, smile, and ask for all the coin they can sell or order for you.....all they can do is tell you no. Thank them.... Come back in a month and do it all over again.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a backwoods cigar lol I bought a 40$ cigar and still thought a black and mild tasted better

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job! In this hobby, banks don't readily have half dollars available all the time. you can't just walk into a bank and ask for $40 in halves and expect to walk out with them. You got lucky that the banks stocked up for people like you (and us), welcome to the addiction!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions